Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mr. Norment please…

If the operator of a bicycle fails to stop as required by this section, the operator shall be subject, in addition to any other fines or penalties set forth in this title, to a minimum fine of $500, and the law-enforcement officer issuing the citation shall impound the operator's bicycle for a period of six months.

Impound my bike??? True criminals and drunks don’t even face these charges, fines and impoundment.

This absurdity will never see the the light of day.
And I’m not saying there are some dumba$$ moves made but this a little over the top.

Reactions: MilesR

·
2,001 Posts
Dude’s a gem, apparently. From another cycling forum:

In January 2001, Norment was charged with driving under the influence after he was pulled over on Interstate 64 outside Richmond with a blood alcohol content of 0.10.[10] He apologized to his constituents and colleagues from the Senate floor two days later, saying, "I offer no excuses, no avoidances of responsibility. I do, however, offer my sincere and contrite apologies for any embarrassment or shadow I may have cast over the integrity and dignity of this body."[10]

In April 2015, a 2013 letter from Norment to the Virginia State Bar saying that he had previously had an extramarital relationship with a female lobbyist was made public. Norment was responding to allegations from an unsatisfied legal client, Christopher Burruss, who attempted to extort him by revealing Norment's affair. Rather than comply with Burruss's demands, Norment turned the evidence over to the State Bar. Burruss was convicted of extortion and sentenced to two years in prison.[11][12] Norment reported that his marriage had recovered from the affair,[13] but he later divorced.[14] The lobbyist's name, Angie Bezik, was withheld from news reports[15] until 2018, when Norment announced he was engaged to marry her.[14] He restricted press access to the Virginia Senate in 2016, a move seen as catalyzed by the coverage of his affair.[16]

In August 2015, Norment's name and personal information appeared on the hacked Ashley Madison servers, showing one payment of $68.99 and two payments of $79. Clients of the dating service were required to pay to initiate a conversation with another client, and male clients paid to read the first messages from female clients.[17] Norment declined to comment.[17]

In 2019, former students of Norment's at William and Mary accused him of teaching racist material and making racist and transphobic statements in class.[18]

In February 2019, it was revealed that Norment was an editor of the 1968 Virginia Military Institute yearbook that showed students in Ku Klux Klan attire and blackface and with racially offensive nicknames, which came to light in the context of the 2019 Virginia political crisis.[19] Norment does not appear in the photos and issued a statement saying he condemned the use of blackface[20] and said his role was ensuring writers and photographers made their submissions on time and that he was "still culpable, but it is by association with a team that produced that yearbook with those photos".[21] He pointed out that page 236 of the same yearbook shows he supported VMI's racial integration in 1968, and that he led an effort to enroll women there in 1997.[20]

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,187 Posts
Yet another reason I don't ride in the road.....no stopping on greenbelts and trails, only going. Norment's johnson should be impounded for violating sex trafficking laws.

Stop signs are for traffic on the road. Bill doesn't govern sidewalk use so just use sidewalks that parallel the road and run all the stop signs for traffic on the road you want to.......given the laws of physics are in your favor.

Reactions: rola643

·
Two skinny J's
21,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dude’s a gem, apparently. From another cycling forum:

In January 2001, Norment was charged with driving under the influence after he was pulled over on Interstate 64 outside Richmond with a blood alcohol content of 0.10.[10] He apologized to his constituents and colleagues from the Senate floor two days later, saying, "I offer no excuses, no avoidances of responsibility. I do, however, offer my sincere and contrite apologies for any embarrassment or shadow I may have cast over the integrity and dignity of this body."[10]

In April 2015, a 2013 letter from Norment to the Virginia State Bar saying that he had previously had an extramarital relationship with a female lobbyist was made public. Norment was responding to allegations from an unsatisfied legal client, Christopher Burruss, who attempted to extort him by revealing Norment's affair. Rather than comply with Burruss's demands, Norment turned the evidence over to the State Bar. Burruss was convicted of extortion and sentenced to two years in prison.[11][12] Norment reported that his marriage had recovered from the affair,[13] but he later divorced.[14] The lobbyist's name, Angie Bezik, was withheld from news reports[15] until 2018, when Norment announced he was engaged to marry her.[14] He restricted press access to the Virginia Senate in 2016, a move seen as catalyzed by the coverage of his affair.[16]

In August 2015, Norment's name and personal information appeared on the hacked Ashley Madison servers, showing one payment of $68.99 and two payments of $79. Clients of the dating service were required to pay to initiate a conversation with another client, and male clients paid to read the first messages from female clients.[17] Norment declined to comment.[17]

In 2019, former students of Norment's at William and Mary accused him of teaching racist material and making racist and transphobic statements in class.[18]

In February 2019, it was revealed that Norment was an editor of the 1968 Virginia Military Institute yearbook that showed students in Ku Klux Klan attire and blackface and with racially offensive nicknames, which came to light in the context of the 2019 Virginia political crisis.[19] Norment does not appear in the photos and issued a statement saying he condemned the use of blackface[20] and said his role was ensuring writers and photographers made their submissions on time and that he was "still culpable, but it is by association with a team that produced that yearbook with those photos".[21] He pointed out that page 236 of the same yearbook shows he supported VMI's racial integration in 1968, and that he led an effort to enroll women there in 1997.[20]
A real nice gem. Almost nothing good is ever associated with this name.

·
Two skinny J's
21,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the Virginia Bicycle Federation.

If you’re reading this, you already know that bicyclists and drivers have been shown to break the law at similar rates, that bicyclists treating a stop sign as a yield actually improves safety outcomes, and since bicyclists know that they lose the fight with drivers, we avoid crashes like the plague. For what it’s worth, a Virginia DMV report given to the Virginia State Police Safety Stop Study completed last month found 0 bicyclists fatalities resulted from bicyclists failing to stop or disregarding a sign from 2016-2020. Actually the largest percentage of bicyclists who were killed in traffic had “no improper action”. If we want to improve safety, bicyclists should be allowed to safely yield at stop signs. In

·
Maturity Challenged
1,156 Posts
What is causing Norment to go against the grain?

Oklahoma passes Idaho Stop law, joining growing list of states
Published May 11, 2021
OKLAHOMA CITY (BRAIN) — Oklahoma joined a growing list of states to adopt legislation that allows cyclists to treat a stop sign as a yield.

Gov. Kevin Stitt signed HB 1770 — which included adopting the Idaho Stop — into law on Monday.

Oklahoma is the ninth state to adopt the legislation, joining Idaho, Utah, North Dakota, Washington, Delaware, Colorado, Arkansas, and Oregon.

Reactions: rola643 and MilesR

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,187 Posts
In either a stop sign or red light situation, I am yielding........a very low occurrence thing in my riding world tho.

·
Two skinny J's
21,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is causing Norment to go against the grain?

Oklahoma passes Idaho Stop law, joining growing list of states
Published May 11, 2021
OKLAHOMA CITY (BRAIN) — Oklahoma joined a growing list of states to adopt legislation that allows cyclists to treat a stop sign as a yield.

Gov. Kevin Stitt signed HB 1770 — which included adopting the Idaho Stop — into law on Monday.

Oklahoma is the ninth state to adopt the legislation, joining Idaho, Utah, North Dakota, Washington, Delaware, Colorado, Arkansas, and Oregon.
He’s just another life time politician who thinks he’s above it all. He’s a real POS

Reactions: i12ride and MilesR

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,759 Posts
First off impounding the bike for a moving violation is bullshit. If they did that with cars we could ride wherever we wanted because cars would be nowhere besides the impound yard.

I despise the criminalisation of cycling and this is an attempt at that.

Hope that bastards chokes in his sleep. I mean peacefully of course.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,187 Posts
Criminalizing the criminalization of cycling is where I'm at.......how about criminalizing something that would actually help the world be a better place? Like no staring at your intestines unless in your home. The huge amount of @55 ostriches constantly dunking their heads in their mud cause far more and worse problems than any cyclist running a stop sign.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts