Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most here know I do not believe most incidents betwen motorists and cyclists are accidents, but instead uninentional or intentional collisions. You also know I believe and define accidents as being something unavoidable whereas a collisions is always avoidable.

That said every now and then there is an accident that occurs between a motorist and a cyclist.

Here is the story: Oregon bicyclist hit, killed by truck near Montezuma

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I am not so sure that would be an accident. The driver is required to inspect the tires befor going on the road. If the tire was not up to par I would say he is responsable. What some of these trucks drive around is a crime. can you imagin getting hit by the trear of one of these trucks when it comes off, yet you can see on the road where thay keep driving after it starts to seperate My .02

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not so sure that would be an accident. The driver is required to inspect the tires befor going on the road. If the tire was not up to par I would say he is responsable. What some of these trucks drive around is a crime. can you imagin getting hit by the trear of one of these trucks when it comes off, yet you can see on the road where thay keep driving after it starts to seperate My .02
I think you're comparing a large commercial truck to a pick up truck. I believe the ruck that hit the cyclsit was a pick up truck. Also the tread you see on the side of the roadway is not from the front tire of a large commercial truck, like a semi. It is typically from one of the dualie tires and usually one of the trailer tires and it is a retread. On a retread tire the new tread loses adherence from the body of the tire, comes loose and comes off. Sometimes the dualie tire on the truck does loose tread, but most often it is the trailer as that is where the heaviest load is. I do not think the front tires of a semi are allowed to be retread, only the rear dualie tires or trailer tires.

Also it was not the tread that hit the cyclist, nor did the tire lose tread. The tire blew, causing the driver to lose control of the truck, thus accidentally swerving into the cyclist and hitting him.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Wild...please.

Since I haven't been here in a while, I'm late catching up, but damn, dude.... If all it took was inspections to prevent flats/blowouts, NONE of us would ever have one.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I was under the assumption it was a big truck as well, at which point they do have to inspect. An easy mistake to make.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
The article makes it sound like a tractor trailer. If you can't tell when it's time to replace tires, esp, steer tires.....Decently maintained and inflated tires just don't blow.....

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I don't care what, a family pickup or comercial truck you are required to keep it in safe operating condishion, may pops are not safe, you know may pop at any time. But we don't know what caused the tire to blow, it could have bin something in the road, an under inflated tire, a bald tire, so I guess I am just shooting in the dark. So as Joe would say we nead the facts just the facts.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I don't care what, a family pickup or commercial truck, you are required to keep it in safe operating condition, may pops are not safe, you know may pop at any time. But we don't know what caused the tire to blow, it could have been something in the road, an under inflated tire, a bald tire, so I guess I am just shooting in the dark. So as Joe would say we need the facts, just the facts.
fify

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
But anything mechanical can and WILL fail. You can have a brand new tire, inspect it before you get in the truck and everything be just fine and it still fails. Every tire is a may pop and yes well maintained tires can and do blow out from time to time. Just as steel can suddenly break, this type of accident could have just as easily occurred from a broken tie rod and no way the driver could have known that was going to happen. This article doesn't go into enough detail to say that it was anything but a tragic accident. Timing had to be just right to come to this result in that had the tire failed 100 yards sooner or later, it would have been just a truck in the ditch.

Just because something tragic happens does not mean anyone or something is to blame. There is an inherent risk to almost anything. Not everything is preventable. Some collisions are also unavoidable. We do the best we can to manage risk, but the only way to eliminate collisions between bikes and cars is to ban either bikes, cars or both. Even if you did that someone might get run over by a tractor. Ban them too and we don't eat.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I think you're comparing a large commercial truck to a pickup truck. I believe the truck that hit the cyclist was a pickup truck. Also, the tread you see on the side of the roadway is not from the front tire of a large commercial truck, like a semi. It is typically from one of the dually tires, and usually one of the trailer tires, and it is a retread. On a retread tire, the new tread loses adherence from the body of the tire, comes loose and comes off. Sometimes the dually tire on the truck does lose tread, but most often it is the trailer, as that is where the heaviest load is. I do not think the front tires of a semi are allowed to be retread, only the rear dually tires or trailer tires.

Also, it was not the tread that hit the cyclist, nor did the tire lose tread. The tire blew, causing the driver to lose control of the truck, thus accidentally swerving into the cyclist and hitting him.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

·
Registered
179 Posts
But anything mechanical can and WILL fail. You can have a brand new tire, inspect it before you get in the truck and everything be just fine and it still fails. Every tire is a may pop and yes well maintained tires can and do blow out from time to time. Just as steel can suddenly break, this type of accident could have just as easily occurred from a broken tie rod and no way the driver could have known that was going to happen. This article doesn't go into enough detail to say that it was anything but a tragic accident. Timing had to be just right to come to this result in that had the tire failed 100 yards sooner or later, it would have been just a truck in the ditch.

Just because something tragic happens does not mean anyone or something is to blame. There is an inherent risk to almost anything. Not everything is preventable. Some collisions are also unavoidable. We do the best we can to manage risk, but the only way to eliminate collisions between bikes and cars is to ban either bikes, cars or both. Even if you did that someone might get run over by a tractor. Ban them too and we don't eat.

Thanks photosbymark no truer words have been spoken. These guys have this driver hung without knowing all the facts.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
But anything mechanical can and WILL fail. You can have a brand new tire, inspect it before you get in the truck and everything be just fine and it still fails.
Yes this article is very vague...

In 28 years of wrench'n for a living and racing Late Models I have never seen a new tire fail, not one. I don't mean to be argumentative, just never seen it. We put some awful punishment ( over 600 H.P) on some pretty soft compound tires and never a failure we didn't cause. Nickel and dime parts failures are much more likely. Even the cheapest re-retreads run on trailers and rear axles will last with proper inflation. Under inflation probably causes more blow outs and failures than any other single reason. How many times have you pulled up behind someone at a light and seen a tire that looks about 10 pounds low, bulging out. Nobody(as a general rule) checks tire pressure as the season and air temps change and that has a HUGE impact on inflation and tire wear. Most late model cars now have TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) that let the driver know if a tire or tires are low.

Sorry..I know this probably sounds a little obnoxious but you'll never convince me otherwise so I'm apologizing before this ever gets read :)
k1 2009 LLM Track Champ :) New chasis ( Rocket Chassis) Kept the car from being 2010 Champ..sorting things out.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
No one mentioned the speed of the vehicle when the tire blew, no one mentioned the location of the bicyclist on the road (I did not see a photo when I connected to the link with the news story) and all these things are relevant in determining whether it was preventable.
All such accidents are preventable if the motor vehicles drove the same speed as bicyclists--they would not be passing us! Of course, they might as well ride a bike then, wouldn't they? If you don't want to have a motor vehicle accident or collision, don't drive one!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts