Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchsed a new tube for my road bike only to discover when I went to use it that the valve stem was non-threaded. My question is, is it ok to use non threaded valve tubes in place of threaded and what are the advantages / disadvantages?

Thanks

Simon

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
You're ok. I never put the nuts on the stems anyway. Can't help help ya on the advantage/disadvantage. I have had a tube like that before and can't remember how I ended up with it but I've only ever had one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rola, thanks for the reply. I put the threadless tube in this evening and promptly got a puncture in it 3.7 miles later. Oh well as they say, well actually I may have uttered a few 4 letter words, but nonetheless stuff happens.

As this was the last tube I had I took a trip to performance bike this evening to restock and decided to do with a slightly wider rear tire. My bike came with 700 x 23 tires , with a Gatorskin on the rear, upped the width on the rear only to 25 with another gator. Hope this helps carry my load a little better with regards to punctures.

Simon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts