Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sunray Sx a semi recumbent that I am fully enjoying. Getting it ready for some spring an summer touring. Got the fenders on, but the threads I don't think were really that clean to begin with. Ok I'll be honest. I may have cross threaded them, but I really don't think so this time.

This is a steel frame so a tap and die set should fix it fairly easily. Trouble is of course my tap and die set right now is all SAE and not Metric. I believe these are 4mm for the standard fender/whatever attachments to the front fork. Check the tap and die set I am going to get there are 2 4mm taps. One is like 4mm .7 and I think the other was like 4 mm .5. Now never having worked with a metric set I am assuming that is the threads per mm.

Anyone know off hand what die I should be using to clean these treads up and fix it right?

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
That sounds neat, I'll have to check them out.

Similar in construction to the recumbent? It's a y access if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fun its more upright than a true recumbent. I got this one to see if the riding problem was fit or knee. Hack is almost right. You need a full back to really be in a recliner. It's not fast. I may change out some gearing later. It is one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden and it always gets looks at bike church. It's not light. I am planning on doing some touring in just a few weeks on it so I am trying to get all the kinks out of it and me just before the weather gets nice. After today I may be too late

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
If you're getting a tap and die set, run the bolt from the fender through the dies (gently, don't want to rethread the bolt) and see which die it threads easily into without being loose. This can tell you which to use. Also, most sets come with, or you can pick one up cheaply, a pitch gauge for you to put on the bolt and determine the pitch.

0.7 is the distance between the threads in mm. Therefore, the 0.7 will be the coarse thread and the 0.5 is the fine.

Wiki has a little more information:

ISO metric screw thread - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really not sure it's 4mm now. That is what the guy at my LBS told me, but Sheldon Brown site says a fender eyelet is 5 .8 My gut tells me to trust Sheldon. LBS gave me a couple of screws and one side isn't that fouled up. I'm going to try to test it on one side, but really not sure yet. Though I won't be putting that much weight on it, it will also be a support for a front rack with panniers.

I guess if I get the wrong size the worst is getting another bolt. The plan is to put bulk items up front with not that much weight with the ultimate goal of touring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts