Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I really didn't know if this should have went in the road bike forum or the single speed forum so I went here. I have a three speed road bike that I converted from a common sixteen speed. Basically, I have just removed the rear cogs and spaced the remaining three accordingly, set the der. limit screws to stop and the high and low gear, and am using a Shimano down tube shifter set in friction mode. It works ok, but I'm interested in learning more about an internally geared rear hub. I admit I am clueless on these as I have never seen or rode them in person. Would this be a better route for me to go? Do they operate more smoothly? Any advice, tips, prices, etc. you all can give is greatly appreciated.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
An IGH looks like an old school coaster brake hub, as it has to be large enough to accommodate the gears. The 3-4 speeds are compact, the 7-8 are larger, and the Rohloff 14 is huge, looking like a motorcycle drum.

They allow you to shift while stopped, are very low maintenance, and other than the cable and shifter, are a pretty clean looking install, especially compared to a 3x9. The downside is weight, and possibly limited gear choices.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info., IH. The three speed is what I would be interested in. I'm already using a shifter and cable so that doesn't matter much. I would think that I may be a tad lighter going the standard road hub and just three cogs, but don't know for sure. The cogs I am using now are a 21, 18, 15...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts