Thyroid problems. Anyone else have them?

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by Michigander, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Michigander

Michigander Member

I never had it diagnosed, but I have a large number of symptoms of thyroid problems, and I respond well to the stuff I take, so it's pretty much a fact that I have them.

What I take is magnesium, zinc, selenium, and moderate amounts of table salt. That combined with a good diet and regular exercise keeps the symptoms at bay. Recently I've also been taking "Now" brand "Thyroid Energy" pills which contain all that stuff and more, and I might switch to those, although they are more expensive. Additionally, I try to keep flouride and chlorine exposure to a minimum.

The symptoms I get when I don't take supplements are fatigue, an itchy balding head, low body temperature, trouble concentrating, low lung capacity, and in the past, I think I had an enlarged heart from pushing myself too hard aerobically while still having the thyroid deficiencies, although that's kind of complicated.

Anyway, I was wondering who else has these troubles, and what you might do to fend them off.

2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

They run in my family but not yet. How old were you when you started experiencing problems?

3. Michigander

Michigander Member

I was about 17 when I first almost choked on a bite of turkey. Didn't figure out what it meant for several years after that.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Runs in my family as well. Did you stick a certain type of diet?

5. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

So...

Are you:
    hyper-thyroid (over active)
    hypo-thyroid (under active)
    ?
    Hyper makes one hyperactive and skinny
    Hypo makes one lazy and fat.

Thyroid issues have been a convenient excuse for many fat people for years...
    "not my fault I'm fat, I have an under active thyroid"
    RIGHT (laced with sarcasm)...

You can prolly tell...I have a bad thyroid.

When I was 21, I had 3/4 of the thyroid removed to mellow me out. I was a bad student in school and until the operation, was NEVER able to sit through an entire movie.
    I am still hyper thyroid, but take no meds and, other than the skinny thing, live a good, healthy life.

6. Michigander

Michigander Member

Hypo I'm thinking. Lazy and fat definitely describes how I feel and get when I don't medicate the problem.

As for my diet, I eat almost no red meat ever, I avoid wheat, processed sugar and dairy like a plague, and eat lots of fresh fish, fruits, vegetables, and nuts. I cook with rye flour.

I've been doing this for about 3 years now, and I've kept from getting back to my old 220 pound self. Kept a steady weight of about 165-175.

7. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

Good for you...!!!

I have met folks with an hypo and they are as big as a house. Morbid obesity (100 pounds plus is not uncommon)can be an outcome of hypo.

About the only thing I need to watch is my iodine up take. Iodine goes directly to the thyroid for processing and that causes my thyroid to kick into high gear, and off I go... zoom zoom zoom, like drinking 100 cups of coffee all at once.
    The iodine I need to watch is in:
    Salt, table salt in particular, it is added because most people do not get enough from their food. I use sea salt.
    Crab legs. That red color in crab legs is iodine.

That's about it for me.
    I eat a lot of food, a lot.

I DO exercise a lot( I run marathons) and that helps too.

I limit my red meat too, but for the exercise reason and not wanting a "gut bomb" sitting in my body while running.

What do they say about eating and exercise...???
    Don't eat anything the day before you are not willing to carry on your run. Red meat is a big gut bomb.

8. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

i have some stuff you can read from a dr. regarding thyroid and nutrition. if you pm me your email address i'll email it to you.

9. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

My thyroid is working, but I have reactive hypoglycemia, and my fiance' is diabetic. Sugar is not our friend. The difference is that I just go right to sleep if I have too much.

10. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

PM sent!

11. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

I am also Hypoglycemic. But it effects me by making me confused and shakey. The key for me is to eat something...anything. Even candy is ok.

I was coming home from work a couple years ago and got "hypo" on the way home. For the life of me...I could not figure out how to get home. Had to call for help.:confused:

12. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

That's horrible. I had a friend in High school that would play the damn fool after eating a bag of m&ms. He would walk around giddy.

13. Industry_Hack

Yeah, that's when I get low. Makes me irritable too.

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I get irritable when I'm hungry is that what you guys are referring to? Isn't that everybody?

15. Industry_Hack

No, my blood sugar gets all jacked.

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Does it make you irritable?

17. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

i know what you mean brother, i am the same way. i get more irritable when my kids start asking me for my food after i offer to make them something and they tell me they are not hungry.

18. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Something about the sight of food makes them want it. It's primal.

19. Industry_Hack

Shut up, ok!?

;)