Two Spoke Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Is gonna be a thing, fork ordered yesterday..............

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
OK, last dang chain tensioner. Alfine no go. Prolite no go except for pulley with sealed bearings to use elsewhere. This ceramic bearing origin8 one will do what I need it to............after I flip the keeper doodad downward.

Reactions: cwtch

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, still waitin on the rr wheel to show but some of it is getting done. Headset in, fork trimmed, got the chain tensioner/tubes/rim strips/brake housing..............
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel
Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycle frame Vehicle
Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire

·
Two skinny J's
21,751 Posts
^ What kind of bars are those?

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Origin8 Gary Sweep - 16 degree flair/440mm with Origin8 brake levers....soon to be wrapped in Wildfire Camo 2.5mm Lizardskin bar tape.

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
I was going to comment on those bars also. I like them, they look cool

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Bought them thinking they'd end up on the Fuji Tread gravel bike but decided not to use them on that bike. Ever since I've been eyeing them being used in some offroad drop bar build/rebuild.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
This is starting to drag out and it's annoying me. Missed the dang rr wheel that I HAVE to sign for yesterday by about 20 minutes. Tried roaming around the area where mailman might still be but no luck on that sooooo, now the chase is on and will most likely have to leave early from work one day to fetch it from PO...........really hate having to sign for parts.

New direction...Oval 34t chainring is out. Going to have 2 cogs out back and have 32x16 for offroad and 32x14 for not so offroad. The chain tensioner and round chainring will allow for manual gear change with just single allen. Will adjust chainline with ss spacer kit to be as straight as possible for either cog.

No progress other than adapting a wrap around chainstay protector to this frame & ordering some more stuff........origin8 14t cog, Blackspire round 32t chainring, origin8 34.9 seatpost clamp & origin8 pro fit 31.8 stem.

Stuff....................

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Finally..........got the dang rr wheel from PO and got this thing on both feet. Starting to be a bike now. Still waiting on 32t chainring/14t cog and may be scoring a black ss chain. Will be stringing up the brakes and taping up the bars this wknd. Went for a short spin around the block without brakes and the thing feels tight and light and digging the posture and fit of the kray kray beastiod............where am I supposed to ride this thing? Everywhere, lol...........

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset
Tire Wheel Bicycle Crankset Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame
Tire Bicycle Wheel Land vehicle Bicycle wheel
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle frame Bicycle part Rim Vehicle Bumper

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
OK, some dialing in has occurred........trimmed a coupla chain links, added a 2nd cog & respaced for chainline sharing. Now have 34t ovalx16 & 34x13 options which will end up being 32t x 16 or 32 x 13 when the new chainring arrives. Changing is done manually by adjusting the chain tensioner..............Gonna do a real ride with the 34 oval first tho.

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Tire
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim Tire
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Crankset

Still have black KMC superlite single speed chain on the way too......

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Now, on to the bartaping...............stopped after one side to ponder black tape or this wildfire camo? I have both black and camo in 2.5mm Lizardskin tape.....and no, the zipstrips were temprorary before electric taping cables in place and also taped a few pieces of bar tape in strategic pressure point spots instead of any gel pads before wrapping with the camo stuff............
Tire Wheel Vehicle Vertebrate Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Bicycle Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Decided to carry on with the camo for now with trusty black to back it up if I decide the camo must go...............

Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle tire
Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Bicycle Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset
Hand Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle tire Bicycle frame
Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Wheel Automotive tire

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ready to get this thing out for a ride.......after the new stem, seatpost clamp & chain make the scene it might be close to being done...........maybe :)

Bicycle Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks, itchin to go for real spin on it.......35 degrees with north winds 15-20 with showers off and on wasn't anything I felt like diving out into tho. Wasn't in the cards after my 20hr day at work Friday. Piddlin and nappin weather wknd. Opted for warm, dry and lazy.......and I really despise the trend of throwin new builds into crappy conditions the first time out on them that keeps happening so...it can wait.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Coupla more adjustments.........110mm 8 degree origin8 stem vs 120mm 6 degree. Slight but gratifying difference in posture. Bars barely closer and seem barely higher, more comfortable fit. Origin8 seatpost clamp with weather seal..............O , K.....fancy.

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle tire
Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper Tire Motor vehicle

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Down to just swapping in the new superlite KMC black ss chain once it arrives.......and RIDING IT!

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Black chain didn't play nice with the oval 34t chainring so it got shelfed. 17t cog en route to get 2:1 with the 34t ring for offroad. It will end up with a 17t and 13t to select from out back - ssx2

Grande chango swappo on cranksets.......Put the square taper Deore cranks on the 95 Trek Y-22 and took the outboard bearing newer style Deore cranks from it and moved them to this bike. The square taper is more period part for the Y-22 anyway and the Mega 9 Rings moved over no problem. Both cranksets are Mega 9. No pics yet so just deal widdit......:p

The origin8 chain guide got used on the 1x8 that has no narrow/wide ring.......

Pic of cranks on the Y-22 now on the S-750...............

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Crankset

Reactions: John_V

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Sooo, after much tinkering and futzin around with this drivetrain back and forth, staying with 34t oval with 16t & 13t cogs. Trying 17t and 13t made for too much droop/slack in the chain tensioner. This had about 1/4 of the cog having chain on it as well. The 32t round was no friend of any of the 4 chains I tried and is also not narrow/wide ring. Settled on the KMC narrow single speed chain I dug up that was still so fresh it was in it's krusty packing grease still. It is also not glaring silver in color. It cleaned up real nice, and mostly not skipping teeth under full torque. Also filled the v-brake post holes in the frame with black silicone. Touched up a few nicks in frame with red sharpie. The newer outboard bearing Deore cranks made things really come together. Found the 2.5mm black spacers for using the 73mm length spindle with 68mm shell and got rid of the spindle spacers I was using. Better more solid setup. Calling this build officially built...............

Reactions: John_V
21 - 40 of 63 Posts