Tie and Glue Wheels

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by bakers, Aug 13, 2009.

1. bakers

bakers Guest

I was just thinking about tying and gluing the wheels on my mountain bike. Will this increase wheel stiffness? Will it improve cornering traction? Will it wreck the wheel? What will happen if I try to true the wheel after?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Hmm. Never heard of tying and gluing. Is that like soldering spokes? Chances are, there's a reason I've never heard of it.

What wheels are you running now, and what kind of riding do you do?

3. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Yeah, he probably means tying & soldering. If so, you may want to check out this:Tied and Soldered Wheels by Jobst Brandt

4. Industry_Hack

Usually, I dismiss him as a dinosaur. But in this case, I can't argue with his lack of results. Either way, that was 13 years ago. I think there may have been some improvements in gear since then.

5. hophead

Sheldon Brown or Jobst Brandt?

6. Industry_Hack

Jobst. I have much respect for Sheldon. I'm the guy that came up with the Igor for another bike site, in memory of Sheldon.

7. hophead

Dunno much about JB. I read his book The Bicycle Wheel, but found Sheldon Brown's website much more helpful when I built my first wheel. Unfortunatly, I never had the pleasure of meeting Sheldon befor he died.

8. Industry_Hack

I only exchanged comments with him on the other site. Oh, I do apologize for the link, but I'll make up for it by putting over 15,000 links to this site over there. :D

9. hophead

No sweat. Links are fine when they are posted by active participants here.

10. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I think you are talking about the sew up tires. If so, I don't think they will work that well. The issue I read about in the road bikes is the tire rolling off the rim. the larger tire of a mountain bike I figure would put more leverage on the tire and more easily roll it off the rim. Whereas a standard type mountain bike tire is seated against the bead holding the tire in. The lower pressure of the MTB tire I would think would also be an issue allowing the tire to move around a bit. Not spinning or moving around so much but just wobble side to side and move about allowing it to more easily get into a position to come loose.

Road bikes are pretty much straight up and down on smooth road with higher pressure tires. The only time that they are leaned over is when the sewn and glued tires roll off. A MTB is always leaning or bouncing or sliding off a rock or root. I don't think they will work to well. Plus I don't think you will be able to find a tubular MTB tire. The kevlar bead tires now can be folded and packed so haveing a tubular isn't that big of an advantage.

Edit: Check this out look at the tubular section and see the pros and cons and then you can see if it is what you are willing to put up with for the sewn tires. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009