Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The year is coming to end fast and I began to wonder what if any kind of improvements I have been able to accomplish this cycling year/season. Often it seems difficult to gauge any overall improvements unless you have a particular hill, for example, that has challenged you and now you can make that climb much easier than ever !

I'm going to use one ride from October of last year and compare it to that same ride I did yesterday.

Last October 11th I/we (Andy & I) rode Dutton, 36.1 miles, 1274 ft of accent, in 2 hrs 16 min. with an 17 mph avg. We did that same ride today in 1hr 55 min. with an avg to 19.3 mph avg. A 21 minute improvement ! While a slightly better than 2 mph avg increase may not seem much, ask anybody that races (most look for 1/10's of seconds improvements) what 2 mph advantage would mean in a race ! HUGE difference ! Glad to be able to see an improvement.

While that may compare to CAT anything racing, for me personally, I feel it's a great improvement in 1 years time. I feel I can improve even further next year ! Looking forward to another challenging year !
-------EDIT---------

I thought to put perspective to this post and why I feel it's such an accomplishment for me I would add this:
I'm a 48 year old male that smoked 2 packs a day and could exceed that on a weekend and part of the reason I started to ride in the first place was because I wheezed just sitting in a chair ! My first ride of 5 miles brought thoughts like these people are NUTS and that was only 2 years ago !

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Congrats nice going :thumbsup: :D Wow 17 to 19 mph. The only time I see that kind of mph is down hill and a tail wind peddeling for all I am worth.:rolleyes:. I have seen my distance inprove but it has went down since the colder weather it seams like.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I'd like to be able to breathe. To do that, they'll probably need to scrape out my sinus cavity. That should yield a huge improvement in performance.

·
Pedaling Old Man
68 Posts
Congrats nice going :thumbsup: :D Wow 17 to 19 mph. The only time I see that kind of mph is down hill and a tail wind peddeling for all I am worth.:rolleyes:. I have seen my distance inprove but it has went down since the colder weather it seams like.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
To shave 21 minutes off that run is impressive.
I have a 11 mile test sprint ride I do a few times a year, it includes 2 pretty nice hills and over the summer I took 5 minutes off that run.
Any improvement is worth noting.

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well looking at the year in review it turned out to be ok. I had a rather substantial work area and hr shift change for a project this year and it felt like it really limited my ride time this summer. I ended up with a 2 hr drive to and from work, depending on traffic....

The goal for 2010 was 3k, ended up with - 2,596.5 miles in 148:47:31 hrs, done in 80 rides with a max speed of 36.1 mph and 74,575 ft of elevation while burning 159,614 Calories. 3k should be easy this year :) Like I said earlier in this post it was a year for some other improvements and overall I am happy with the end results

2009 I saw 2754.7 miles in 208 hrs in 96 rides with a max speed of 43.2 mph.

I wish I had the time to get closer to 5k per year but 10 and 12 hour work days leave little time for rides on work days :hate:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts