Time to reflect

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by rola643, Nov 20, 2010.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

The year is coming to end fast and I began to wonder what if any kind of improvements I have been able to accomplish this cycling year/season. Often it seems difficult to gauge any overall improvements unless you have a particular hill, for example, that has challenged you and now you can make that climb much easier than ever !

I'm going to use one ride from October of last year and compare it to that same ride I did yesterday.

Last October 11th I/we (Andy & I) rode Dutton, 36.1 miles, 1274 ft of accent, in 2 hrs 16 min. with an 17 mph avg. We did that same ride today in 1hr 55 min. with an avg to 19.3 mph avg. A 21 minute improvement ! While a slightly better than 2 mph avg increase may not seem much, ask anybody that races (most look for 1/10's of seconds improvements) what 2 mph advantage would mean in a race ! HUGE difference ! Glad to be able to see an improvement.

While that may compare to CAT anything racing, for me personally, I feel it's a great improvement in 1 years time. I feel I can improve even further next year ! Looking forward to another challenging year !
    -------EDIT---------

I thought to put perspective to this post and why I feel it's such an accomplishment for me I would add this:
    I'm a 48 year old male that smoked 2 packs a day and could exceed that on a weekend and part of the reason I started to ride in the first place was because I wheezed just sitting in a chair ! My first ride of 5 miles brought thoughts like these people are NUTS and that was only 2 years ago !

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Congrats nice going :thumbsup: :D Wow 17 to 19 mph. The only time I see that kind of mph is down hill and a tail wind peddeling for all I am worth.:rolleyes:. I have seen my distance inprove but it has went down since the colder weather it seams like.

3. gs46

gs46 Pedaling Old Man

Thats fantastic....I'm inspired!

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I'd like to be able to breathe. To do that, they'll probably need to scrape out my sinus cavity. That should yield a huge improvement in performance.

5. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

17 mph to 19.3 mph is a huge increase. Pretty impressive to get those type of results in just one year. Congrats!!!!!!

6. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

+1 Way to go!

7. gs46

gs46 Pedaling Old Man

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

To shave 21 minutes off that run is impressive.
    I have a 11 mile test sprint ride I do a few times a year, it includes 2 pretty nice hills and over the summer I took 5 minutes off that run.
    Any improvement is worth noting.

9. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Well looking at the year in review it turned out to be ok. I had a rather substantial work area and hr shift change for a project this year and it felt like it really limited my ride time this summer. I ended up with a 2 hr drive to and from work, depending on traffic....

The goal for 2010 was 3k, ended up with - 2,596.5 miles in 148:47:31 hrs, done in 80 rides with a max speed of 36.1 mph and 74,575 ft of elevation while burning 159,614 Calories. 3k should be easy this year :) Like I said earlier in this post it was a year for some other improvements and overall I am happy with the end results

2009 I saw 2754.7 miles in 208 hrs in 96 rides with a max speed of 43.2 mph.

I wish I had the time to get closer to 5k per year but 10 and 12 hour work days leave little time for rides on work days :hate: