Two Spoke Forums banner

Tire liners

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  COSMTBFAN 
#1 ·
Well I got my City trecking tires by Michelin with protek plus, new tubes, and slime tire liners. I cant seam to get the tire liners in so thay sit flat and are centered. is there some thing I don't know or am I doing it wrong. any tricks that help???

#5 ·
What I do is put 1/2 of the tire on, and inflate the tube a little. It needs to be inflated just enough to hold the liner in place, while you tuck in between the tube and tire, through the open side. You can adjust it to you satisfaction from there, then pop the other half/side of the tire on, inflate, and ride the wee out of it!! I use liners in my MTB tires, and have taken them off several times, and once I figured out this technique, it has bee very easy!! HTH!!

#7 · (Edited)
cosmtbfan thanksfor the the tip, it seamed to work I got bouth tires changed with new tubes and liners, + the tires have a belt of somthing, PROTEK PLUS, rode good with 85# in them 26x1.85s

Cyclepro I don't know how good the liners work but 2 flats a week I had to try somthing

I like the looks of them Michelen City trecking tires. I will let you know how thay work out for me.

#8 ·
cosmtbfan thanksfor the the tip, it seamed to work I got bouth tires changed with new tubes and liners, + the tires have a belt of somthing, PROTEK PLUS, rode good with 85# in them 26x1.85s

Cyclepro I don't know how good the liners work but 2 flats a week I had to try somthing

I like the looks of them Michelen City trecking tires. I will let you know how thay work out for me.
I had some kevlar liners in my old road bike 10-15 years ago, and they worked very well at preventing flats, even here in goat-headville. The advent of kevlar belted tires has pretty much obviated the need for them.

#9 ·
How much do the liners help keep from getting flats?
They work ok, but I think that if I hit a gnarly enough sticker or something, I'll have a flat anyway. After I bought the liners, I found that my flats were coming from the rim. They were not deburred enough where they drilled through the inner wall of the wheel!! DOH!! Once I deburred all of the holes, my flat tire problem was fixed!!

#13 ·
Shouldn't rim tape prevent this?!
Well, the rim tape would slide out of the way, and then the rim would cut my tube. It was very frustrating situation, to say the least!! This caused me about ten flats in all, and I have it taken care of now, thank goodness!! I deburred the inner rim, and also bought some Velox fabric rim tape, and this stuff is very good. It has an adhesive on the inner portion, so once it is applied, it stays in place. Again, all of this happened on a MTB, not a roady.

#16 ·
Well, the rim tape would slide out of the way, and then the rim would cut my tube. It was very frustrating situation, to say the least!! This caused me about ten flats in all, and I have it taken care of now, thank goodness!! I deburred the inner rim, and also bought some Velox fabric rim tape, and this stuff is very good. It has an adhesive on the inner portion, so once it is applied, it stays in place. Again, all of this happened on a MTB, not a roady.
Velox is the best. That's all I use. Just make sure that you are using the proper width tape for the rim. Too narrow and it will creep around on the rim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.