Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the recent ride of the year got me thinking about the quality of tire patches. The scabs just don't seem to work for much more than a get home type of patch. There are times that's good enough. I carry some, but learned that they are definitely not a long term answer.

Some of those cement patch kits are a royal pain to get out of the packages. Yet those seem to last as long as the rest of the tube.

Now that I have a tube with a split side, it got me thinking. Anyone ever cut up an inner tube that has played Pop Goes the Weasel and used it as patches??

Could be the best way when you think about it. The rubber of an old inner tube will stretch and contract like an inner tube. They could be cut to any size you want. If you have to use rubber cement, what could be stronger than gluing 2 pieces of rubber together.

Granted as often as not I don't repair tubes, but the front tire on the recumbent isn't carried by every bike shop (or at least the lbs that I frequent the most) and patching tires will keep the spare tube around longer.

Anyone ever done this and did it work well??

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is a little off topic, but it's about tires and patches...

About a year ago, while I was in Houston I got a flat in my truck. I had a friend who worked in a tire shop put a patch in it and he was very adamant about it "not being a long term fix" and that "I would probably only make it home" with this patch. That patch lasted about a year and many thousands of miles before it even started leaking again.

Moral of the story, patches, if done right, last and can be dependable. I would still carry a spare tube/pump with me though if I knew I was riding with a tire that had a patch. You never know...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most car tires though now are tubeless and a totally different situation. Yes I can get the tubes, but its just not as easy. Depending on the patch, I have ridden tubes for a very long time with patches in the past. As a kid the patch would last usually as long as the rest of the tire.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
I've never had a vulcanized patch leak. I don't try to patch a tube with a big cut, or with a broken or leaking valve stem, but have reused tubes with 3 or 4 regular vulcanized patches.

I always carry a spare tube on the bike which I use in case of a flat. I also carry a regular patch kit in case of a second flat, and a self adhesive patch kit in case the glue tube in the regular patch kit has dried up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've never had a vulcanized patch leak. I don't try to patch a tube with a big cut, or with a broken or leaking valve stem, but have reused tubes with 3 or 4 regular vulcanized patches.

I always carry a spare tube on the bike which I use in case of a flat. I also carry a regular patch kit in case of a second flat, and a self adhesive patch kit in case the glue tube in the regular patch kit has dried up.
Larry,

Like you I carry both a patch kit (no glueless patches yet) as well as a spare tube. If I get a flat while on the road if I get a flat the spare tube goes in, and I'll patch it when I get home.

Also like you, I have re-used tubes with multiple patches on them with no problems.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I put a new tube in on the road and when I get home I patch the tube that becomes my spare I carry on the bike. I have a curved piece of steel that goes in the vice and a roller with a handle I use to put the pressure on the patch. The glue aint what it use to be but you have to let it tack up before the patch is put on. and don't put air in it for a wile let it set up, now on the road you have the tire to hold the patch from comeing off but I stil only put a little air in and let it out a time or 2 to let the tube get the rinkles out. I have patched a lot of tubes in the 66 years I have bin around. Back when I started working in a gas station, you fixed a flat with a patch not a new tube.
¢¢

·
Banned
1,501 Posts

Ditto on all of the above.

I use the Performance house brand patch kit that costs around 2 bucks. I actually enjoy patching tubes. I save them up 'till I have 3 or 4 that need fixin' then I pour myself a pint of good ale or a dram of malt whisky and get to work. I have tubes that have 5 or 6 patches on them. I don't toss them out until I get an unpatchable hole.

I'm not a fan of the glueless patch. Not for any particular reason. I just like the old school patches. They're cheap and they work.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Ha first bike I had gotten a few years back when the tube finally blew and I took it out the guy who owned it before me he patched it many times over it was sorta Swiss cheesed LOL but held up for me till its end. Now is it me or do the new tubes seem to be crap?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking at the one I had play pop goes the weasel, it let go along the seem which sure seemed like a manufacturers defect. If it happens again, I will agree with you bikebum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts