Tire Tubes

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by bakers, Aug 13, 2009.

1. bakers

bakers Guest

Which tire tubes work the best? I have tried a lot of different kinds and I even tried that goop stuff and I am still keep getting flats....

2. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

What kind of riding do you do? You may have a hole in the tire, allowing sticks and stuff to pop the inner tube easily. There could also be something very small stuck on the inside of the tire, popping the tube. If It's popping and your doing heavy duty off road riding you may need a thicker tire. Bontrager sells a version of the connection trail that is double the thickness of a normal tire. I use Bontrager tubes in all my bikes, they're great.

3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

There are flat free tubes as well if you want to chance running those.

4. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

check to see if the tubes are getting punctured on the inside (the side against the rim/nipple strip), or the outside (the tire side). If it's on the inside, then it's an issue with the spoke nipples being exposed somewhere, not the tubes themselves. If it's the outer side, check for holes in the tire.

5. runbikeswim

runbikeswim New Member

Run your finger along the inside of the tire also. If your tube and tire are being set correctly, it could be a thorn or piece of glass. Often, you can't even see them, but they will still puncture a tube.

6. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Better way to check the inside of your tire than just feeling with your hand is to get a few cotton balls and wipe the inside of the tire with them. The cotton balls will catch the intrusion and snag showing you where it is, while protecting your hands from a cut from glass or a thorn. The cotton swabs can be added to your tool kit without adding any weight so you have it available while out riding.

7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Is your tube getting punctured or are you getting pinch flats? If you are getting pinch flats, use more pressure.