Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new set of tires for a mountain. With this bike my riding is mostly back road, rails to trails and light mountain bike trails. I'm looking for a good comprimise between easy rolling and traction. No heavy rock trails and no offroad racing. What are the advantages and disadvantages to the folding versus the wire bead? Is there a particular tire I should look at? I was looking at the Kenda small block 8 but would really like to understand the differences in the wire and the folding too. Any help?

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I don't think there's really a performance difference between the two. Not having that wire may save a few grams, but mostly the benefit is that you can fold one up and carry it as a spare. I'm partial to Kenda and Continental, but this is really a question you should ask at your LBS. They'll usually be able to suggest the best tire for local terrain. Personally, I like a rounded profile with large, widely spaced tread blocks complemented by closely spaced blocks down the center. That kinda covers everything but really loose dirt, and it sheds mud nicely.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Panaracer Fire XC Pro is a favorite all arounder. To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between a folding and non folding tire other than price!:eek:

·
Drink plenty of water!!!
328 Posts
Generally most quality tires are folders although there is no reason why a wire bead would be a hinder to performance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Folding

Since daring to change from wire to folding (I always though - they've always been made like that it must be the best way), I can't find any reason to change back.

The tyres are just as good and of course they take up so much less room - you can even carry a spare on a ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts