Two Spoke Forums banner

Tires? What do you ride on?

11K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  froze 
#1 ·
As you know I'm new here and it's been 20+ years since I last rode/owned a bike. Not sure what kind of miles are on the tires I have, I was thinking about getting another set as a back up.
The tires that came on my Team Raleigh/Ultegra bike are Michelin Pro3 Race Tires.

Are these good tires or should I look at something else?

What are you riding on?

Thanks

Mark

#2 ·
What kind of riding do you want to do? Since I want to do high miles with low hassles this Summer I got a set of Continental Gator Hardshell folders. If I would want more performance at the expense of more flat potential, I ride Vittoria Open Corsa Evos. If you like your Michelins, those are nice too.

#3 ·
Well looking to get into better shape and maybe try a little group riding, not wanting to do any racing.
The tires really ride nice and are very light.

#6 · (Edited)
#8 ·
i have used continental and maxxis prefer continental. i now have vittoria rubinos on my roadd bike and like them.
for everyday riding a lot of riders like hard case tires because they have a little more puncture resistance and wear well.
i am light and can ride most tires without problems
i have road the pro 3 s and they are nice. a fairly light tire, thus won't last like a gator skin. but they wore well for me.
when buying new tires i price shop a bunch....

#11 ·
I ride Hutchinson Fusion 3 Tubeless. It's a good tire. They also have it in clincher I believe. For more flat resistance they have the Hutchinson Intensive. Continental also makes some really good tires, like the GP4000s is a good high performance tire and the Gatorskin is really good if you like puncture resistance. I have always wanted to ride a Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX 2 and see how a 320tpi tire rides but since I've gone tubeless I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon.

#12 ·
I do like the ride I get from the PR3's, but I really have nothing to compare them to myself. I'm looking at Vittoria's open corsa's, Continental GP 4000 and 4000s along with the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX. But with the nice ride I get out of the PR3's I'm riding I may just grab another pair.

Have also thought about just getting a good training tire like the Vittoria Rubino Pro III Road Tire, Michelin Krylion Carbon Tire and Continental Gatorskin's.

Thanks everyone for your input and it all sure gave me a lot to read about.

#13 ·
I just ride on whatever quality name brand tire I can find at the biggest discount and don't, nor won't, pay more then $29 for a tire. My last big find was 4 pair of Kenda Konstrictors retailed for $40 for $18 each, and their a great tire, better then the Conti's GP4000's I tried. You search the internet at various sites and about once a year you can find at least one outstanding deal (early spring is best for road tires and late fall for MTB tires). I can't justify paying $70 or so for a tire that may not last longer then 500 miles if something happens, and I since I don't race I don't need an ultra handling tire nor a fast one because those types are more fragile and not really suited for everyday street riding.

Yeah I know, I'm cheap.

#15 ·
I personally run specialized armadillo all conditions, and roubaix pros, Vittorio randos and rubinos. WTB weirwolfs and mutano raptors prior to the weirwolfs. Gran compe tires. I think specialized tires in general are pretty boss. I have had good experiences with continental and Michelin tires on bicycles. Bontrager hardcase tires seem to be pretty solid too. I also used to put lots of miles on my IRC mythos tires. There's a lot of good tires on the market. I probably roll on my armadillos the most though. I have a great deal of confidence in them.

#16 ·
I personally run specialized armadillo all conditions, and roubaix pros, Vittorio randos and rubinos. WTB weirwolfs and mutano raptors prior to the weirwolfs. Gran compe tires. I think specialized tires in general are pretty boss. I have had good experiences with continental and Michelin tires on bicycles. Bontrager hardcase tires seem to be pretty solid too. I also used to put lots of miles on my IRC mythos tires. There's a lot of good tires on the market. I probably roll on my armadillos the most though. I have a great deal of confidence in them.
Aramdillo's are a great tire at preventing 99% of all flats. I use to live in the high desert of California where I ran into a little devil called the goathead which could penetrate Conti Gatorskin WITH a Mr Tuffy liner! But after trying several tires and then found out about the Armadillos I never had to worry about the goatheads again...and that was without the Mr Tuffy liner. They are heavy and have a harsh ride, but I found that by reducing the air pressure about 15 psi less then I would normally ride the ride quality improved. Once I moved out of the area Armadillos were an overkill so I switched back to lighter tires.

#17 ·
I really like the ride of the PR3's and went ahead and ordered a set of red PR3's today.

#19 ·
Anyone every try Panaracer Pasela or Vittoria Zaffiro road tires? If you know anything about either, please advise. Many thanks!
The Pasela is just an average tire with below average sidewalls that are just too thin, much like a lot of the Conti sidewalls. They cut easily and don't perform in the rain well at all and wear out rather quickly. The same can be said of the Saffiro accept their sidewalls are more durable, but their more acceptable to punctures VS the Pasela's which weren't great in that department either! Hutchinson tires seem to be all junk in my opinion.

If your looking for an inexpensive tire Nashbar has a sale on Mich Kromion road tire in a 700x23 for only $19 and they seem to be a decent tire. Also Nashbar always has coupon codes that can get you an additional 10% off but have to search the web to get the code.

Also Performance Bicycle has Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick for $29 which have been a great tire in the past so I assume they still are today. Performance also has the same Mich Kromion on sale for the same price as Nashbar with a 10% coupon on their home page.

Then over at Price Point they have the Kenda Kriterium on sale for $26; I really like the Kenda brand, the Kenda is probably the most flat resistant or the tires that I mentioned above.

#20 ·
I am currently riding on stock Schwalbe Lugano 700x25 tires that came on my Cannondale Synapse. I do not have a real read on them yet since I have not been on them for very long. My previous tires were Bontrager Race Kite 700x23mm. I had them for a good 4 yeard and they never gave me an ounce of trouble. They gave a quality ride and seemed to perform very well under my 200+lbs. I have seen Bontrager tires disparaged mnay times but I have had great experiences with mine.

Cheers,

Brian J.

#23 ·
Froze-

Thanks for the know, but I'm (un)fortunately kicking it old school with 27"ers...one of which is still bent. Average is where its at for the time being!
There are a lot of 27" tires on the market today, Conti, Mich, Schwalbe, IRC, Kenda and others all make 27". Conti makes the Gatorskin in a 27 which is a decent tire if you want a light weight training type of tire, or Schwalbe, Mich and Conti both make touring tires that are very rugged and long lasting, I like the Schwalbe the best of that type. And the prices are not absurd either. I too have an old school 27" Schwinn Le Tour Luxe that currently has IRC on it, but will switch to Schwalble Marathon when I start touring on it.

#24 ·
I actually looked into the Gatorskins, but decided against them because they're a bit steep for the budget. With all the work that I've been doing/needs done, I don't want to "splurge" in one area just yet. After I get riding daily again, and get more pressing matters tended to, I will definitely upgrade tires (and many other things). Thanks again for the help!

#25 · (Edited)
I actually looked into the Gatorskins, but decided against them because they're a bit steep for the budget. With all the work that I've been doing/needs done, I don't want to "splurge" in one area just yet. After I get riding daily again, and get more pressing matters tended to, I will definitely upgrade tires (and many other things). Thanks again for the help!
Go to this site, they have a bunch of 27's at reasonable prices: 27in Road Tires - BicycleTires

If you find a tire you like at the above site, just paste the brand and model and size into your browser and do another search and you might find it cheaper somewhere else...but those prices are very good.

Edit: Tubes are not a problem, any 700c tube will fit a 27" rim. Also Specialized still carries a couple of 27's including the Armadillo All Condition which is very flat resistant but their about $30. And Nashbar has a few 27's too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.