tires

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by vicg, May 6, 2010.

1. vicg

vicg VICG

:confused: Since this is a biking forum I thought I could get a more reliable answer here. I have a Scott Sportster P6 hybrid which came with 700x37c tires and was told that I can safely go down to 700x20c, is this correct?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Depends on the rim width. But you wouldn't want to go to a tire that narrow anyway.

3. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Shoot, unless you're REALLY light weight, or going competitive, there's no real reason to go below 700x25; rim width is also, a concern, too wide a rim won't handle a too-skinny tire -- kinda like putting Daisy Dukes on Roseanne.

4. Industry_Hack

Once you go below 23mm, the shape of the contact patch changes, and they become less efficient.

5. vicg

vicg VICG

tire size

I'm debating if I should go with a 28c. 30c or 32c what do you think? As I told you this is a hybrid and I'll be riding with my brother who will be using his road bike and so will his friends. they like to go fast at times so speed is what I'm really concerned with.

6. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

7. Industry_Hack

A light 28mm tire. I have some while 28mm wide Fyxation tires on my Windsor, and they're super fat and tall, and weigh a lot, especially compared to the 25mm tires they replaced. Coming from a 37mm tire, you can get high pressure and light weight, which will help you out a bit.

8. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

I just threw up a little...

9. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Yep, me to. He could have come up with so many other comparisons that would not have involved the woman of my childhood lustful thoughts.

10. Jake_The_Snake

Jake_The_Snake New Member

Personally, given the beefier frame of the hybrid (likely Aluminum?) I would go with the 30mm for a little bit more vibration dampening.

11. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

That shows you have 'pretty good' control!