Titanium Dream Bike

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by pinkskulls, Dec 4, 2009.

1. pinkskulls

pinkskulls Guest

I am planning on buying a Titanium Dream Bike. Because of my body geometry in need to get a custom bike. I am thinking about getting a Serotta Legend SE, Lynskey Helix, Moots Vamoots RSL or Seven. I must get this right because it will be a custom bike. Any thoughts (or recommendation for any other titanium frame I failed to mention). Thanks!

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Don't do it. Once you build the dream bike, you have nothing left to look forward to.

3. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

4. Siu_Blue_Wind

Siu_Blue_Wind Guest

Why do you need custom? I had to because of issues with my back. If you are close enough, I know a fantastic shop with awesome customer service. These guys take the time to do it right. I flew from California just to get to them so I can be fitted. It was way worth it because now I am able to ride road when I couldn't before because of the pain.

5. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

There is a lot of truth in Industry's comment!
    That having been said, I think that custom building is essentially for people who's wallets are too large and need refitting. With stems, bars, seatposts, cranks, saddles, there are more than ample possibilities for fitting and fine tuning using "standard" frame geometry. The clue is to find the right frame to fit your body and riding style and then outfit it with the kit that will give you the custom fit you need. This requires experience and creativity!

6. KShep

KShep Zensunni Wanderer

If you are going to commission a custom build I suggest dealing with a craftsman you can meet face to face.

You should be able to find a stock frame that will fit you just as well. I understand that fit may not be the only criteria considered when selecting a custom vs. stock build.

Good luck with your project...there are many quality frame builders out there.

Eriksen / as as mentioned above....Moots el Supremo
    Steve Potts
    Bill Holland
    Strong
    Roark
    Spectrum
    Kish
    DeSalvo

United Bicycle Institute Bicycle Mechanics School Offering Mechanic Certification and Frame Building.

List of manufacturers here ^....click 'cycling links' in left margin.

7. Siu_Blue_Wind

Siu_Blue_Wind Guest

That's an unfair statement.

I don't make a lot of money and I had to cut down on a lot of things in order to save for it.

I have a bulging disk in my back that is at risk if I bend at the waist for longer than 10 minutes. I have to bend at the hips. I have tried for two years to search for a bike that can be fitted in regards to the position I have to be in, in order to have a sort of 'arched back' when I ride. No luck no matter what frame or company it was. The only kind of riding I was able to do was mtb because of the sitting up that was allowed.

With the cooperation of my doctor, the fitter and the builder, I am now able to ride road without pain.

8. chh55

No slight intended Siu....There are of course exceptions, that's why I used the word essentially. Your condition places you in the exception category. I see a lot of people riding road bikes in a nearly upright position. If you don't cut the steerer on the fork and use lots of spacers, and then flip the stem it's possible to get the bars up very high. Would this not have worked for you?

9. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

fit

chh55 has a point that cannot be denied. A bike is fitted to hand, bum, and foot position. Those 3 points only for they all touch the bike. All three of those spots can be varied greatly in any reasonably close frame for a given body height. You do not need to go custom to get a proper fit.

There is nothing wrong with spending money. But money is no substitute for proper bike science.

Hope you like your custom, Sir Siu. I'm in the business too, and count on those who like fine things. But this fit stuff is not strictly of custom build. Sorry.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  10. Industry_Hack

You're hardly the first cyclist to have an issue with a bulge.

11. Siu_Blue_Wind

Siu_Blue_Wind Guest

Hmmm. Maybe you guys are right. :(

Perhaps the guy I got it from just wanted me to order custom...I bet I could have saved a lot more money by getting one already built and like was was said putting more spacers on the steerer tube. :eek:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  12. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Sir Siu: You are an unusual man to have spent good money on a product and then to have admitted perhaps it was not needed in the face of opposing view from the bunch. Most dig in harder to justify. Not you. I do not see such modest behavior often. I'm applauding from afar.

You did not waste your money, however. It fits, it's nice, and you like it. What more could a stoker ask for?

13. chh55

Amen to that!!! And I hope you are satisfied with your ride.... anything that gets you out there is difficult to put a pricetag on. Happy Riding!!

14. Industry_Hack

Uh, Siu does not have an ego because she is a very attractive woman, not a man.

15. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Ten thousand pardons sent. One should not assume, I guess.

16. Mootsguy

Being the owner of two custom built frames, a Ti HT and a steel roadie, I can say that there is nothing quite like the feel of a frame built for your body type and riding style. That is not to say that a stock build cannot nearly equal the feel of custom a build, just that there is a noticeable difference.

17. chh55

Just when you think you've finally stumbled across a sensible guy who is capable of rationally examining an issue without tripping over his flabby ego and it turns out be a woman! Well doesn't that just figure?!;)

Another good reason to have an accurate avatar I guess!

Cheers Siu!

18. doug

doug New Member

great thread...I'm new so pardon for stupid questions...I'm looking for a ti frame. I can take a stock frame (interesting discussion on that, above. I have a herniated L5, had 2 steel custom frames, still have 1). I just can't believe the cost. I've spoke to two builders mentioned above (very good people) and they want around 3400 for frame and fork. One of the builders has "stock" frames but they're the same price as custom. There's "Pride Titanium" US built for much less. But no one knows them. All I want is a road bike (56TT), 130 rear axle, steel fork, touring brazons, very stiff bottom bracket (I'm fat), stiff frame, possibly slight sloping top tube (I'm flexible), not even committed to butted vs. straight gauge (I know the issues, I just don't know how much it matters for this bike). I'm looking for that holy grail...the all purpose bike that I can tour with every couple of years, use for commuting in a wet climate, will never show wear, and yet is light enough to go fast and inspire me to lose my own weight (the wheel issue is funny. I've found that you can tour with quite a bit of weight on 700/25, 36 spoke, regular Mavic open pro rims, so I'm never sure about the focus on "tire clearance" for this kind of bike). Is it really going to cost 3400 for frame & fork? I've been thinking of this bike for 4 years and missed the titanium price rise a couple of years ago. My wife's 14 year old Appalachian she got complete (built up) for 1200, looks like new (sort of) and seems perfect (sort of).

19. Industry_Hack

Are you looking for custom, or just a Ti frame?

20. Mootsguy

With apologies for butting in here, but you might want to take a look at Titanium Road Frames for $895

Very reasonable cost for Ti and their customer service is top notch. Their frames have always gotten excellent reviews.