Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always so up in the air when it comes to the local group rides that take place on Friday evenings. The reason being is that this is Central Florida, and it rains a good deal of the afternoons/evenings this time of the year. That said, there's a ride tomorrow evening and I'm unsure since the forecast says thunderstorms. I'd have to bring my bike with me on my car if I decided to give it a go. Even though I know I'm silly worrying about the bike getting drenched in the rain sitting on my car rack, I still would rather it not happen if the rain is inevitable. I figure I'll more than likely just check the weather/rader in the morning and go from there. Question though for those of you who have dealt with your bike in the rain, is the best way to dry it off just with a towel? What about your seat? Is even worth putting a bag or something over it to protect it from getting soaked?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It's going to get wet at some point and time, probably with you on it :)

I have an old towel I wipe all the clean parts with (frame, bars, etc) and use a couple paper towels for the chain, derailleurs, etc.

After getting wet (being ridden), I usually take that as an opportunity to really give the bike a good cleaning and re-oil the chain, etc. I vote for taking the bike.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well for the vast majority of the bikes, its simply not a big deal. Does it hurt your bike to wash it?? Steel is the most likely material to rust. Aluminum can corrode, but rust is technically iron oxide. Carbon fiber it just isn't an issue. In the old days when the bearing of the wheels were not sealed, it was more of a concern. The water could get inside the wrong spot and work against the lubes and over time caused problems with the bearings. With todays sealed axles, that isn't a concern.

I would just wipe it down with a dry towel. If it was a big rain, I'd lube the chain and maybe add some grease to key points. Unless you had a leather Brooks saddle, again it should be fine. When do you need to worry about your bike in a thunderstorm??? Answer when you are on it. Many bikes have to live outside and are exposed to all weather. That is tough of them, especially in the colder climates. Getting wet on the way to a group ride shouldn't keep you from enjoying the ride and the bike. It's meant to be ridden.

·
Registered
870 Posts
This is when you can and should use WD-40 on a bike. The WD stands for Water Displacement. If you know you will be riding in the rain and especially if you are planning on doing so use the WD-40 to displace water and help keep water displaced. You can even use you regular lube with it. Once you get back home you will need to clean your bike with a good degreaser, Simple Green works really well, especially in a chain cleaner, and apply new lube.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Most of my bikes are steel, so I don't like to leave them out in the rain. My mountain bike frames are treated with Frame Saver to prevent rusting from the inside out. I really never expose my road bikes to the rain, so they are not treated.

It's probably not horrible to drive in the rain with a bike on a rack, but I don't like to do it. Rain at 60+ mph is going to find it's way into places that it shouldn't be, especially on a roof rack.

That said, if your bike is aluminum, carbon fiber, or treated steel, the frame should be fine. Bearings and headsets don't last forever and can be replaced. I wouldn't miss riding because of the threat of rain.

·
retromike3
274 Posts
Its a none issue

You are not going to hurt your bike by having it get wet. if you are diving at over five hundred miles an hour maybe. So take a deep breath and relax.

Steel is strong stuff, I have a thirty year old Trek thats a bit dinged up but is still going strong (without frame saver) and I am currently working on a 1953 Raleigh Sport that I working on as my new "hot rod".

If your thinking of dumping your bike in salt water its probably not a good idea, but bikes are really strong so don't sweat it.

mike

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
[...]
Question though for those of you who have dealt with your bike in the rain, is the best way to dry it off just with a towel? What about your seat? Is even worth putting a bag or something over it to protect it from getting soaked?
If my bike gets wet, I just dry it with a towel and then wipe and lube the chain. If it's going to be out in the rain, I use a plastic bag to cover the bar bag and another to cover the seat.

So ... did you ride today or not?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Steel is strong stuff, I have a thirty year old Trek thats a bit dinged up but is still going strong (without frame saver) and I am currently working on a 1953 Raleigh Sport that I working on as my new "hot rod
Yup, steel is strong. You'll get no argument from me on that, however, it does rust. Your 30 year old Trek and '53 Raleigh probably weigh a hair more than a modern steel bike. That's cuz it's much heavier gauge tubing.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ended up not riding. The rain came, and oh did it come! First off, I was questioning riding due to overdoing myself with my 1/2 marathon training last week (only had Friday scheduled as a rest day which was a mistake). Secondly, it rains almost like clockwork here these days. The ride itself was canceled, so I made the right decision this time around anyway.
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions though, as I know I will need them in the near future! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts