Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am not officially going to label this ride as Bike Church because I said a few bad words today. That always got me in trouble, especially in church.

Today the weather was great. Fixed a squealing rear brake that has been annoying me for a while. The only real downer was the headwind.

Started out on a simple trail. Nice and easy and a real joy to ride. It was also shielded from the wind. Turned on to some of the nicest bike lanes around. I am too old to go fast, but today was different. This was one day the headwind was bad enough I had to pedal DOWN some hills. Granted the Sunray is hardly aerodynamic, but this is a bit much.

Cruising along I catch a glimpse of a car approaching from behind. As we approach and intersection, the car is now right beside me and I hear the engine rev. That's when I said the first round of dirty words. I knew what was about to happen, and many of you do too. The*&^# got about a car length ahead of me then turned right through the bike lane to make the right turn. Expecting it I got on the brakes to avoid being right crossed. A was glad I didn't have ear buds in and an Ipod going, I might not have heard the engine accelerate. Its also where I said my second round of bad words.:hate:

Made it up a couple of more miles and caught another trail that runs along a river through town. To get on the trail you cross the river on what is much like a spillway that is fairly narrow. Going down it isn't so bad. Crossing the river was kind of fun, but going back up it was so steep it would have made Sprocket Girl seem 91. Yet there was another good looking blond watching to see if the gray haired old geezer would make it to the top without stopping. Determined I did :p but I could tell I had been off the bike for a while. Thank goodness the sprained ankle was no problem.

Cruised a while and when it started to get late and being any later would not be a good idea, I turned around. As I am cruising back, I look up and see two ladies on a late afternoon stroll, just as the path narrows. All of a sudden there was another gray haired old geezer all kitted up headed at us all at a high speed. When I saw a bad situation developing I backed off. This guy had to be a Fred. Not only did he not slow down, he didn't even break cadence cutting between the ladies and moving back over to keep from hitting me head on but not by much at a speed that was totally uncalled for. That when I used bad words again. Fred was the second word but the first word did start with the same letter.

All this in a 13 mile cruise. Moral of the story. Always stay alert and use all your senses. Hearing may be nearly as important as vision. Be considerate of others. Wear your helmet and Don't be a Fred.

Now I have to go say a few extra for the bad words, after all its during lent.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Sounds like you still had fun.
The outher day i did 35 miler and on the last stretch with the 3 hills about 2 1/2 miles from home, and there are no houses on this road. I came over the top of the second hill and some one had droped off a pit bull and he was standing in the middle of the lane there was a car comming in the outher lane and there is no sholder. I got up as much speed as I could and hoped he didn't chase me because I knew he would be faster than me going up the next hill. He just stood there, I got on by and did not give up any blood so it was a good ride. Yesterday animal controle was there on my way out, but thay did not see the dog, he was there on the way back from my ride. It was realy a bad situation as the cars could not see what was in the road befor thay toped the hill. I may take anouther road today.

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Sounds like you still had fun.
I came over the top of the second hill and some one had droped off a pit bull
If someone did drop that animal off I wish them all the bad karma life has to offer that sh#$ pisses me off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts