Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's always a curve ball in life!

Dr. Nattel agrees. “There is no doubt that exercise in general is very good for heart health,” he said. But the emerging science does suggest that there may be a threshold of distance, intensity or duration beyond which exercise can have undesirable effects."

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Is that one of those articles postulating that your heart is only good for X amount of beats, whether you live to be 50 or 100? I read an article that pointed to fit and healthy but not not super athletic people living to really old ages, while hardcore athletes that spent a lot of time at elevated heart rates lived several years less.

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
Too much of anything can be detrimental to your health. For example, you could drink too much water. Moderation has been proven to be beneficial. :cool:

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts
i would much rather die from over exercise than die from under... at least the journey to get there will be a whole lot more fun!
on a slightly more serious note, agreed moderation is the key. interesting article.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well I don't know about specific number of beats per sey, but regular and extremely strenuous exercise stresses the body. Sooner or later it takes a toll. Common sense would tell you that. Look at how many NFL players suffer greatly as they pass 50. Hits they took in their 20s and 30 took a toll and over time the body's ability to recover reaches its limit

·
8 Posts
Rest days are very important...but for me, the most important thing is to try to enjoy as much of your life as possible (with infringing on others). No one is going to live forever anyway, and being that we are all cyclists here, there is always that chance that you are going to be taking out by that fool driving and texting at the same time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well here's my theory on the whole thing... I'd rather be healthy now by working my body, mind, and heart and maybe not live until I'm in diapers...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts