Top 50 Bike Friendly Cities

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Xela, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Bicycling Magazine put out a list of Top 50 Bike Friendly Cities. Comments?

I grew up in Little Rock, and still visit there 3-4 times a year. Yeah, as the list says, they have the "longest bicycle-pedestrian bridge in the world" but it's really not all that long (about 4200 ft. Big Dam Bridge - Pulaski County Arkansas). I don't think that should qualify LR as number 49. It's getting better with more and more bike paths, and Competitive Cyclist is based down there, but I really don't think it's Top 50 yet.

America <---Link to article

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Austin is 11 and Austin is not that bike friendly at all. Lots of trails for mountain bikes but city biking is pretty tough going.

3. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

nyc

NYC west side highway bike path /loop in central park /brooklyn bridge/Manhattan bridge /prospect park/ biking is the only way to get around this great city.

4. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

I don't read the rag, but from comments I've read on forums, the criteria seem to be heavy on bike lanes and paths, both of which are designed more for motorists' convenience than cyclists'. The true measure of bicycle friendliness would be how seldom cyclists get assaulted by motorists and the % of businesses that have parking facilities for bikes, NOT by how city officials keep the @#$ bikes off the roads.

5. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

6. Xela

Nice! The article was the top 50 in America. Never been to Quebec, but I know from a few weeks in Vancouver that it is extremely bike friendly there.

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I hate Austin in way of commuting. The trails and green belt are great, but if your trying to commute Austin is a nightmare.

8. Xela

Seems to be consistent with what BlazingPedals said regarding the ranking criteria.

9. DaveGlebus

DaveGlebus New Member

I live in the twin cities. Do a lot of cycling in and around Minneapolis. Very bike friendly. There are a ton of paths,bike lanes on the street. I always feel safe and have lots of interesting places to visit. I have seen more of the city and visited more museums, state parks' wildlife sanctuaries, etc. in the last 2 years than I had in the previous 40.

10. Noel

Noel New Member

Way off topic, but I love Quebec especially Quebec City I have been vacationing there my whole life. I think I am a Closet Canadian.

11. Noel

Noel New Member

I couldn't agree more. As I have posted elsewhere, bike safety is much more about proper laws, education and driver and cyclist attitude. Bike paths and designated bike lanes threaten cyclists vehicular rights , by relegating them to what will always be a more limited infrastructure then the regular road system.
    Roads where originally paved for bicycles and they should always remain ours to use without fear or apology.

12. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

Canada is like your attic; you don't really think about it being up there but when you go there you say, "Wow! Look at all this great stuff!".

13. Saugus18

Saugus18 Specialized Crosstrail

Sounds great, but dear God. .. those winters. ..

14. RiCycleNut

RiCycleNut New Member

The US is like Canada's crawl space. You go down there and it's all dirty and full of junk you never want to see again.