Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Gary Fisher 29er for 5 years now and am starting to plan my upgrades. What order would you recommend...Crank and Bottom Bracket, Wheels, Shock, Brakes??? All will probably be done over the next year and a half but was wondering which are the most important givin no major issues with the bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think before making a recommendation, I'd need a little more info.

Which specific Fisher do you have? Could you post some pics so we can see the exact parts it has? Is anything seriously worn out or broken right now?

Without seeing the bike, I usually say tires and wheels are high on the list.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't feel as though I get good power from pedal to ground. I have gone through a few bottom brackets and a local shop has replaced them for free, I have a pretty good relationship with them but feel it may be time to upgrade. The shock has been worked on but I feel that a simple overhall, remove the spacer and have the air properly set will make it as good as new with more travel.

Here are my specs...

Bicycle Type Mountain bike, front suspension
MSRP (new) $1,789.99
Weight Unspecified
Sizes 15.5", 17.5", 19", 21"
Colors Fisher Pearl Red
Item ID 16465

Frame & Fork
Frame Construction TIG-welded
Frame Tubing Material Fisher Platinum Series ZR9000 aluminum
Fork Brand & Model RockShox Reba Race Air 29er, 80mm
Fork Material Aluminum/magnesium, single crown
Rear Shock Not applicable

Components
Component Group SRAM X.9/mix
Brakeset Avid Juicy 5 brakes, Avid Juicy 5 levers
Shift Levers SRAM X.9 trigger
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore XT
Rear Derailleur SRAM X.9
Crankset Bontrager Race GXP, 22/32/44 teeth
Pedals Shimano PD-M505
Bottom Bracket Bontrager GXP
BB Shell Width Unspecified
Rear Cogs 9-speed
Chain Unspecified
Seatpost Bontrager Select
Saddle Bontrager Race Lux
Handlebar Bontrager Race Lite Big Sweep OS
Headset 1 1/8" threadless Cane Creek S3

Wheels
Hubs Bontrager Race Disc
Rims Bontrager Race Disc 29

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to start racing my local circuit and want to know the best place to focus my cash to get the best bang for my buck. Thanks for any and all advice!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I am going to start racing my local circuit and want to know the best place to focus my cash to get the best bang for my buck. Thanks for any and all advice!
Best bang for your buck? A good fitting, and a session with a qualified trainer as well as someone familiar with sports nutrition. MTB racing is less about the chassis, more about the motor.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I was thinking about upgradeing one of my bikes and what I found was, I could get a new bike with the 105s cheaper than buying the complete setup of 105s. look befor you leep

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that the get fit and ride more option is used lets get back to the original post. I understand that working harder and riding more is the best way to get faster and win races but I am interested in components and upgrades. Parts wear out and there are upgrades that can be made to a "bought bike" to enhance its performance, get lighter and get more power to the ground. Once you have 3K miles on a MTB it is time to start planning ahead. I also look at cycling as a true hobby...and with all hobbies having choices and tinkering is part of the fun.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If you are going to get that serious with racing, are you going to do down hill??? IF you are racing downhill where you are jumping off rocks at speed, you need a very different bike than one to race on trails. You also need to consider what level you are going to race. There are always things you can do to a bike, and you are right to plan. Yet also consider that you may be better off buying a competition bike rather than try to make what you have faster. The difference between the upgrade cost may not be that much different than a new bike.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Your bike is a hardtail, so not sure why you're asking about a shock. You've already got an X.9 drivetrain with Juicy brakes, so there's nothing there to upgrade that wouldn't just be burning money. Unless you're over 200lbs, or extremely fit, new cranks aren't going to make you any more efficient. That's a pretty solid ride. If you want to upgrade, go buy some lighter wheels. Other than the seat, grips, and tires, you're not likely to see any real benefit to throwing more money at it. For XC racing, saddle time is what's going to make you competitive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback...
I ride mostly single track, all trails I currently ride. My next bike will be a dual suspension bike...a little ways down the road though. I was leaning towards wheels...i might focus my efforts there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wheels and tires will turn out to be your best investment here, especially since you're on a 29er. A lighter and stiffer wheelset will improve your ride like you would not believe without making changes you need to adjust to (like getting a longer or shorter travel fork or changing handlebars, stem, etc). Specialized Roval wheels are really good from the getgo, and are tubeless ready (another must for most racers). Other notable wheels and brands are Easton, Mavic and Crank Brothers, all of which offer tubeless ready wheels that have had amazing reviews.

For tires, ask your local shop about what kind of tires they'd ride on the trails or at races.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts