Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I just started back on a bike 2 weeks ago, I had not been on a bike for well sonce I was 13.
My son and I both got brand new bikes, but now I wish I would of opted for a multi speed.
I am really enjoying riding I bike every morning just made my first 10 mile ride today, and ride with my son in the evening.
Really would apriciate any tips.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well having grown up in Meridian I thought I new most of the Ms small towns, but not Boyle. First a few comments about your bike choice, and second guessing yourself. Bikes are a lot like every other tool known to man. They all have strengths, and they all have limitations. A single speed is the simplest form which attracts many. It has far less maintenance, and really there just isn't that much that goes wrong. They are perfect for many situations. Yet though you probably could rebuild an engine with nothing but an adjustable wrench, it may not be the best way to go. Just put a few coins in saving for the next bike that does have the necessary gearing, and then both will be waiting in the garage for you at your whim. I suspect the vast majority of us have more than one bike. I have 3, and another I am going to give away.

As far as tips, I have three. Number 1. Be patient with yourself. Don't kick yourself when you make a mistake. Don't beat yourself up because of how far you are riding or not riding. Don't be bashful about asking questions, especially at your local bike shop. If they are willing to sell you a bike, they should answer a question. You are going to find that people that cycle are more often than not some of the nicest people you will ever meet and more than happy to share their knowledge.

Tip Number 2. Always remember to have fun. If it isn't something is wrong. Its good to have a goal, but don't let that goal get in the way of fun. Congratulations on the 10 mile ride, but more importantly you have fun doing it.

Tip Number 3. Never ride without a helmet and make sure you son knows that he is cool wearing one, but if he doesn't he is in more trouble than if he came home with a report card with all Fs. If he is a Nascar fan, if Jr can wear a helmet when he races, he can wear one when he rides. You both may never need it, but it only takes once.

I just got back from a 14 mile night ride. Cruising along the shoulder of a fairly major road, I had a big laugh. Somehow someone lost a TV set and the black in the dark didn't lend itself to high visibility. Glass was everywhere and I may have 2 flats in the morning, but it was better than the skunk that nearly got me a few rides ago.

I have two goals. One is to do 100 miles in a day and two to do a tour along the Natchez Trace during the fall. Will they ever happen? Who knows, but I am having a blast working toward them.

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
luvitlo,
You are doing good, sty with it and try to ride as much as you can this winter.

Just wait until next year for a nice road or cross trainer to ride.

Keep us posted on how you are doing and post pictures as you can.

And please fill out your profile, thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This mornin was bad, chain popped off messin up a tooth on the rear sprocket, I got home
Loaded up and headed to walmart. Suprizingly they were nice since the bike was only 2 week old and swapped it for a mountain bike 18 speed, now question time, how do I use the gears when riding, what gear should I ride in?

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
Better fine a local bike club to help get you started. Goggle riding club close to your town or ask a local bike shop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Closest bike shop to me is in oxford, about 100 miles away.
Registered bike club is same, I live right next to Cleveland, MS. Delta State is well I rode threw campus the other day, so very close. Why is there not a bike club and shop in town, and if anyone knows of a Cleveland based club please let me know.

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
Just play with the gears on a flat place until you get an understanding, We all had to learn, we were all new guys and yes, I fell on my side a few time and the last time was just last years.

Get out there and do it.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Shift when pedaling. Shift before it gets hard to pedal. Its easier on the bike and the body. Shift often. That's why those gears are there. Don't be afraid to experiment. Most of all have fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts