Tour De Fat San Diego - Hosted by New Belgium Brewing 10/2/10

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by aweesan, Aug 11, 2010.

1. aweesan

aweesan New Member

Hey everyone!
    I am a social/volunteer coordinator for the San Diego Mountain Biking Association. Part of my responsibilities lie in working to make things fun while participants do something worthwhile for the community. My role is to create, enhance and preserve trail experiences (for all trail users) through fun advocacy and events and promote biking in general. One of the biggest events we do to promote this is the Tour De Fat with New Belgium Brewing (10/2/10). I'll give you a little bit of back story:

The Tour De Fat is a bicycle fest that travels around the country to promote cycling of all forms, encourage sustainable lifestyles (meaning, low impact on the environment but long lasting even after heavy use. SDMBA tries to implement this in trail building, for example, using rocks and natural land features on the trail so that tire/foot/hoof treads don't erode the trail and make it wider), and, wherever possible, utilizing biking or alternative transportation than cars from errands to commutes to fitness.

Each year, New Belgium Brewing company goes to the host cities and chooses 2 main non-profit organizations to basically run the event. Each non profit works particular aspects of the event with the proceeds benefitting their respective programs while New Belgium takes care of logistics, permits, all the overhead. SDMBA and the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition have been chosen again! Our Inaugural year last year was one of the largest grossing 1st-ever events they've put on to-date and had been applauded by the City as being so well orchestrated and an overall positive experience that the Tour HAD to come back!

Part of what they do is give away a custom bike to someone who pledges donating their car for a bike. They pledge to ride as much as possible for a year, and I know if you look at this link under the "trade your car for a bike", you can get more details, as well as see the list of cities in the tour, etc. 2010 Tour de Fat | New Belgium

This was such a fun event! If you were there, I know you'll be back. For those of you who missed it, it's one not to be missed again! Carnival atmosphere, costumes, bikes, beer garden for 21+, bike evangelists spreading the pedal love, music, you can't go wrong!

The ride is free/donation and registration is required. You can do so at the event prior to the bike parade, a flat fun, family-friendly ride through Balboa Park, Banker's Hill, Hillcrest (Route to be finalized soon). Your donations help organizations such as San Diego Mountain Biking Association and San Diego County Bike Coalition, do what they do best to preserve and enhance where we ride.

9:00 a.m. - Bike Parade Registration
    10:00 a.m. - Bike Parade
    11:00 a.m. Performances Begin
    1:30 p.m. - Funeral procession for the car belonging to the Car-for-Bike Trade volunteer
    3:30 p.m. - Car-for-Bike Trade Celebration
    4:00 p.m. - Curtain Closes

Feel free to ping me with any questions or visit 2010 Tour de Fat | New Belgium!

Happy trails,
    Alison Whitney