Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I planned a route that combined sections of several bike trails in the greater DC area. MD>DC>VA>DC>MD

A short section of the Northwest Branch Trail led me to the Sligo Creek Trail. I departed Sligo at Forest Glen Road to Newcastle Rd. (fun downhill) to the Rock Creek Trail. I rode the sections of Beach Drive that are closed to motor vehicles on weekends, then jumped back onto the Rock Creek Trail. A few blocks of K Street under the Whitehurst Freeway to connect to the Capital Crescent rail trail. A couple miles out to Fletcher's Cove to where it connects with the C&O Canal tow path, then back to Georgetown on the tow path. Key Bridge to Virginia and the Custis Trail, to the W,O & D rail trail inbound, to the Mt. Vernon Trail, heading back to DC, not to Mt. Vernon. I picked up the (interim) Anacostia Riverwalk Trail shortly after crossing the Potomac back into DC on the 14th Street Bridge. This path took me to Bladensburg Road. I followed Bike Route signs on Oklahoma Ave. to C Street NE to Union Station and the Metropolitan Branch Trail. From the MBT I sort of followed the East Coast Greenway (on road marked bike route) with some variations to make a more direct course back to Maryland and home.

Good riding in the National Capital and close suburbs.

This picture is taken from a bridge that crosses over the Capital Beltway. A bridge that sported for years a famous graffiti in large block letters SURRENDER DOROTHY. A bridge which becomes visible from the road at the same time that this Oz-like Mormon Temple looms into view of motorists as they come around a bend in this curvy section of the Beltway.

Deer on the closed part of Beach Drive. Washington DC.

A bit quicker with the shutter and a bit less zoom would have made this attempt to get deer and rider in the same shot much better.

C&O Canal tow path.

I rode behind this waterfall. Anacostia River Walk.

Cool bike bridge, Anacostia River Walk.

Very new. The orange barrels and Jiffy John evidence that the trail is not finished yet. The bridge is open for business, but parts of the trail now on road will be separate from roads later. The roads are low traffic, and scenic, so it's already good riding.

·
Two skinny J's
21,327 Posts
You have good eye and a nack for getting a good picture qm! I like these!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts