Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone catch the Tour de Romandie on Versus? I only saw Stage 5 and YouTube highlights of the previous stages, but wanted to get thoughts from those who may have seen them live.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I watched every stage except the last one - we had an organised ride that day. Well, I watched the last 30k of every stage, since that's all Versus was showing. And there was 4 minutes of commercials for every 2km of the race....

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I watched a few minutes of this race, and as much as I like to cycle it is a struggle for me to follow. Guess I always considered racing to be one person, one machine, one race kind of event. You go faster than everyone else kind of thing. Total time I understand (though it does mean the race for the line that might be close may mean absolutely nothing) but there must be a points system or something. It just seems everyone knows but me.

Even then unless they only take the top x number of riders for the points or time toward the team, then I can understand certain riders do better at certain rides. Yet team orders ect just seems so foreign to me in racing, much less a team leader per sey unless they are the strongest rider. Yet team leaders seem to get special treatment from the teams to get extra help, and that makes no sense to me. Michael Schumacher is the prime example in auto racing. Some auto race is France drives me just as crazy. You spend all night and all day running at speeds in excess of 200, to get to the end to finish at the blistering pace of 20 mph.

I'm the classic problem. If the vs crew spent too much time with me, it would bore the rest and they would be thinking does that guy think we are all stupid. Like anything else unless you know the rules and reasons behind the decisions made, its your problem not there's. I did finally learn one thing. The pelaton is the place you least want to crash, except for maybe out of the lead.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I watched a few minutes of this race, and as much as I like to cycle it is a struggle for me to follow. Guess I always considered racing to be one person, one machine, one race kind of event. You go faster than everyone else kind of thing. Total time I understand (though it does mean the race for the line that might be close may mean absolutely nothing) but there must be a points system or something. It just seems everyone knows but me.

Even then unless they only take the top x number of riders for the points or time toward the team, then I can understand certain riders do better at certain rides. Yet team orders ect just seems so foreign to me in racing, much less a team leader per sey unless they are the strongest rider. Yet team leaders seem to get special treatment from the teams to get extra help, and that makes no sense to me. Michael Schumacher is the prime example in auto racing. Some auto race is France drives me just as crazy. You spend all night and all day running at speeds in excess of 200, to get to the end to finish at the blistering pace of 20 mph.

I'm the classic problem. If the vs crew spent too much time with me, it would bore the rest and they would be thinking does that guy think we are all stupid. Like anything else unless you know the rules and reasons behind the decisions made, its your problem not there's. I did finally learn one thing. The pelaton is the place you least want to crash, except for maybe out of the lead.
Total time is the key, as you know.
Stage wins = $ - sponsors pay $ for a stage win/jersey placement on the podium. There are also time bonuses in some races that riders try to get. If you're down 18 seconds and you can score a 15 second time bonus, you've just gotten that much closer to winning.

So, Racers 1,2, and 3: Racer 1 wins stage 1 with a time of 6 hours. Racer 2 is at :06 (six seconds later) and Racer 3 comes in at :15 (6:00:15).

For Stage 2, Racer 1 has a flat and finishes 38 seconds behind Racer 3; the winner of the stage who had a time of 5:00 hours. Racer 2 was 9 seconds behind Racer 3 for second.

For Stage 3, Racer 3 flats once and then later crashes. He finishes in 6:31:18. Racer 2 wins the stage with a time of 6:29:58. Racer 1 crosses the line at 6:30:06.

(No time bonuses)

Who won?

Who made the most money?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think another "problem"- especially when it comes to tv coverage- is the difference between the European and American view of sports... which in and of itself is a product of the respective cultures.

Americans tend to me more concerned with the outcome of a particular sporting event (score points, damnit!), generally higher-scoring games are considered the "better" matches. There's also great disdain of the dreaded "tie"... evidenced by the extent to which we go to avoid such a thing (i.e. "the rules"- overtime/extra innings, sudden death, etc). Also evidenced by the frequency with which the average American turns their nose to "Euro-centric" sporting events (notably football, when a 0-0 match can be breaking news across multiple continents.. I would argue cycling also falls into this category).

Long story short, I feel that is why networks like Versus only air the final km of each stage. Here in the US, most Americans ("most" being the majority of the very minute percentage of the population that actually even cares to watch cycling on tv) only want to watch long enough to see who wins each stage often disregarding the fact that the stage winner can have no bearing whatsoever on the GC. As PlatyPius pointed out, a rider can win a stage with a 5min lead, but still conceivably be in next-to-last place overall.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well with just a quick bit of math in my head, which I wouldn't even try in a dynamic moving event, my math says racer two won and probably had the most money. Won a stage and the event. The other two just won a stage. That kind of math though can not be done on the fly for the number of members on a team, much less competing teams. I also could be wrong; I usually am.

Part of that could be done by scrolls, but then again VS doesn't control the feed. How does the team standings work though??? Does it add the total time of everyone on the team or is there some other formula???

I agree that a lot of it is cultural to an extent. There is absolutely NOTHING worse than a sporting competition of any kind that ends in a tie. NOTHING!!!! Sports isn't about participation. It isn't about doing just as well as anyone else. It's about being the best. A tie is when both teams lose. Being rewarded or not penalized for just a tie is about the same as not keeping score in little league. I understand plenty of people will not agree and that is fine. Now I don't mind low scoring, but no scoring is a bit much. Still again everyone will see that differently and that is why we have different people. We are not supposed to all be the same little clones walking around like robots. It's our differences that usually make us better.

How do they compute team standings?? Total time of all riders time bonuses aside?? It really is something to see the skill and conditioning it takes to ride like that, but unless you know what's going on it is a bit like watching the NFL. Without knowing the rules it would just be a bunch of really big men that can hit really hard. Sooner or later, I'll learn

·
Registered
148 Posts
While I know I am late to this rodeo, one of the stages passed in the outskirts of my hometown in Switz. Too bad the Tour de Suisse does not this year

1 - 7 of 7 Posts