Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tour Divide started this past Friday and one of my buds, Denis Chazelle, is sick enough to attempt this ridiculous 2744 mile sufferfest across the Rocky Mountains along the Great Divide. This is the Tour de France for mtn bikers, but unlike the TdF, it's completely unsupported. There are no team cars, no mechanics, and no rest days. Those elite few who finish this grueling race will have climbed a mind numbing 200,000 feet.

Most of the racers will Start in Banff, Alberta Canada and ride south. Some riders, including Denis, choose to ride north from Antelope Wells, NM. Denis figured that by going north to south, it gives more time for the snow to melt and he can get through the heat of the south early while he's fresh. Plus NM is likely to be hotter later in the month. I think he just likes the idea of going uphill all the way.:D

Most, if not all of the riders are carrying Spot Trackers. These GPS units allow the riders to be tracked on a map which you can see here...
http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide

Good luck to all of the competitors. My hat goes off to you all!

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,506 Posts
The leader who had jumped out into a wide lead early is a rookie on a single speed. WTF! I would love to do this trip just as a tour.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I just watched a documentary on this last night. Was flipping through the listings and something called 'Ride the Divide' caught my eye. Was on of all things the Documentary channel. Never even heard of this channel.

Anyway... it was a documentary on last years race. Made me want to go dust off the mountain bike ;-) The front runner, a guy named Matthew Lee was a machine. I believe it said he had previously finished the ride 6 times and won 4 of those.

Would love to have time and legs to do something like that. I feel accomplished when I get a 50 mile ride complete.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts