Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a touring bike. I want something that is comfortable and designed for long steady rides (50-100 miles day). Have looked at most of the mainstream manufacturers (Raleigh, Trek, etc.) but interested in learning about any other brands or custom builders who specialize in this market. Heard that old style steel / chrome moly lugged frames are preferred for this type of machine. Am intrigued by new disc brakes but heard they may be more difficult to maintain on long rides. Any and all ideas welcome.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
You'll probably encounter more Surly Long Haul Truckers on the various Adventure Cycling cross country routes than any other kind of bike. The LHT can be ordered with either cantilever or disk brakes. Jamis Aurora (rim brakes) and Jamis Aurora Elite (disk brakes) are reliable steel tourers. The gearing is a tad high for loaded touring, but that's a trivial fix.
The Novara Randonee (rim brakes) and Novara Safari (disk brakes) from REI are tried and true. Out of that list, plus the Trek 520, I settled on the LHT as the best suited for the kind of riding I like to do It is also a very good value for the price.

Check the Adventure Cycling Association list of touring bikes for many more suggestions.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I have 5,405 miles on my Jamis with disc brakes I realy like them. I allso would look for a 9 spd rather than a 10 spd and I like a tripple I had a lot of chain stretch with my 10 x 3 setup. I had not knowen that the LHT came with disc brakes or I might have went that way.
My ¢¢

1 - 4 of 4 Posts