Touring on a mountain bike

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by thumper, Jul 23, 2010.

1. thumper

thumper cyclingnut

Hello i'm new to the Fourm, and was woundering anybody ever take a long tour on a mountain bike.
    I just did 750 miles on my mountainbike and love every hot,sticke rainey day of it.

jacksonvile flordia to georgia mountains...........sweet:thumbsup:

2. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Thumper....First off, welcome to the forum

Prior to me getting my first road bike, I used to ride my mountain bike everywhere. I did a lot of riding on it, with most of it being on regular roads. I never had any issues. Now that I own road bikes, I do see how they are more efficient, but it hasn't changed my mind that if you like riding a mountain bike, there is no reason you can't ride it on whatever roads you want.

Good job on the 750 miles...Can you elaborate on that ride? I am very curious what your timeframe was and how it was overall. You don't typically see someone ride that long on a mountain bike.

3. whitey818

whitey818 New Member

Good job man, I live just west of you and have been averaging around 100 miles a week for the last two months, new to cycling and so far only have experience on a mountain bike. Hard to imagine even attempting a 750 mile trip in this heat.

4. thumper

thumper cyclingnut

touring on a mt bike

Thanks for the replies
    Well let see it was weeks, i think i left in april wanted to get away and see the mountains. so i packed up the bike and left for the longest trip ever on a bike for me. took hwy 90 to 441 and went north all the way. did about 75 mile a day and stop in allmost evey town. only two flats on the trip,which was good, no other isues. took forever to get up the hills in ga they have lots of wind in the northern part of the state. great food along the way and lots of ma pa places and lot of cyclist. very cool at night camped all the way.
    thanks again:thumbsup:

5. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

That sounds awesome!!!! Did you do a lot of planning first or was most of it on the whim?

6. thumper

thumper cyclingnut

touring on a mt bike

nope , no plan just woke up one day and said to myself let get away from it all. had a great time met a lot of good people along the way.
    I did stop at the bike shop and put a good set of road tires on the bike, and a set of bags:thumbsup:

7. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I am most impressed. I have to do that someday!!!!

8. whitey818

whitey818 New Member

You came into Lake City!
    Have felt that way before, just lack the kahonies to attempt. :thumbsup:

9. lovecats

lovecats New Member

I will get exhausted when touring on bike