Towing a BOB Trailer

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Scansorial, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Scansorial

Scansorial Guest

If you were to tow a BOB trailer with ~50 lbs. every day, what kind of bike would you use?

I come from a road background, so the cheapest and easiest thing to me seems to be to get a mid-level aluminum road bike. In terms of handling the added stress from the trailer, is there a reason to prefer steel over aluminum? In all other aspects I'd prefer aluminum, but I don't have much experience with a trailer.

What about brakes? I've ridden with a maximum load of ~30 pounds (a combination of a full rear rack and a backpack) on caliper brakes, cantilever brakes, and V-brakes. V-brakes seemed the best, but I never felt unsafe with caliper brakes. Does the bike brake differently with a trailer? I live in a pretty flat area, so I have a feeling caliper brakes would be fine, but I'm willing to change my mind.

I wouldn't plan on using this bike in the winter, so my main concern is being able to tow the trailer with as little of a speed penalty as possible, yet making sure that the bike is durable enough to handle the extra stress.

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Any bike that you like to ride should do fine. We have used them to tow tools and supplies for trail building & maintenance off road with singlespeeds and rim brakes. Brakes should not be an issue, especially on flat terrain.

Frame material should not be an issue either. I prefer steel for it's ability to dampen vibration, but as for towing a trailer, there's no advantage either way.

As long as your bike allows the trailer to be physically connected, you're good to go.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

What are you hauling? I ask, because I saw the Maya Cycle Trailer at Interbike, and saw a few advantages over BOB. They may or may not be advantages to you though. Clever design, either way.

4. borisbob

borisbob The Wizard of Odd

Ah !!! … I think Maya trailer is better than Bob trailer … Maya – like my doughtier, Bob – like me … I am wondering … how much does Maya trailer cost, and is it possible one such trailer to come to me in Bulgaria …

5. Industry_Hack

Bob, I will check if they are available. Just remind me if you haven't heard from me in a few days.

And yes, a Maya would be much prettier to look at.

6. borisbob

Thank you B. ... as an engineer and bicyclist maniac, I immediately appreciated advantages of “Maya” … One such trailer will decide my problems when I am touring …

7. Industry_Hack

Bob, they are expecting them to be available in the US and Canada around March/April of this year. They are currently working on distribution in Europe, and it looks like summer time would be the earliest that would happen. If you needed one before then, you could purchase from the US site, but shipping would be rather expensive.

I'll keep you updated. I should have one for review once they arrive in the US.

8. borisbob

Well, I see they still have not available trailers … For shipping it would be possible maybe to find a friend who will bring it to me … I have a friend living and working in SC.

9. Industry_Hack

Yeah, I sometimes forget that products I see at Interbike might not be in production yet. Patience.

10. borisbob

Yes … the present day … everywhere only virtual and imaginary models … :D

11. Industry_Hack

But I saw it in person. Very clever.