Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping some of you can help me out here. Since I starting to train for the NJ Gran Fondo, I'd like to start tracking my climbing (in)ability. I used MapMyRide for the first time but manually making my route on the map. When I check on elevation, it shows the elevation gain/loss but no hard figures for total climbing etc. Is there another website that offers this function?

I'm tempted to go the 4S/Wahoo route since my cyclometer is DOA and I'm due for an upgrade but if MapMyRide doesn't offer this, not sure if it is worth it just yet.

Thanks In Advance.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Check out RideWithGPS.com I've found their elevations are close to what my Garmin shows. The max and average grade is usually off, but the overall gain/loss seems accurate. Plus, there's less adds, it's free, and I think the mapping is easier.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Check out RideWithGPS.com I've found their elevations are close to what my Garmin shows. The max and average grade is usually off, but the overall gain/loss seems accurate. Plus, there's less adds, it's free, and I think the mapping is easier.
+1 good stuff if you aren't using SportTracks.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I also use the RWGPS site. I like it and you can also add friends on there.

Note about elevation though is I normally go in and use the edit function where there is a box to check for elevation correction using their geological survey maps and such. Once you check it and hit ok it will adjust automatically.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Hazy-

Is that if you upload a gpx file or just make the route on their map?
I think when mapping it automatically uses their geosurvey information.

I hit the edit from my uploaded garmin info to do the elevation corrections.

Shoot the owners of the site an email to find out for sure. They are personally active and involved and will answer you. At least they have me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm using Endomondo app right now. Tracks elevation changes, speed, and each individual miles times. This is the only thing I've used so far

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Check out Strava. They've got a great iPhone app as does the +3Network.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are they device based? I think Strava is, right?

Basically I bought a Garmin 405 w/ HRM on clearance from Amazon. The documentation is lacking, to say the least. I called Garmin with some questions and they were zero help.

I know some devices (Edge 800 comes to mind) you can export your data to a computer and then overlay your route in Google Maps and extract your data as far as elevation, etc. This is what I am looking to do rather than trace a route every time by taking mental or written notes while I am riding.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
The 405 should work with strata and the +3Network.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts