Trail Etiquette

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by MaggieMae, Jul 30, 2009.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Guest

Who should yield the trail? The rider going uphill? Or perhaps the rider going downhill?

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

The rider going downhill should yield to the rider climbing. That being said, if I'm climbing a sweet dh section and I hear a rider coming, I will often let the other rider go if possible.

3. Yamez

Yamez Guest

I agree with hophead, it's harder to see when you are coming uphill.

4. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

The rider coming downhill should stop just b/c its a lot harder to climb than descend so its easier for them to stop and start. It really depends on the trail too but i think most riders either up or down will have some respect and slow down or stop.

5. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I was leading a group ride last night. We had 10 riders and twice had riders that were climbing yield to us. The trail was very narrow and because of the size of the group, the climbing riders chose to yield. We slowed down and waited until they moved off the trail.

Most experienced mtn bikers can assess situations like this and make judgments depending on the individual situation. I never assume that a climber is going to yield to me, even in a group ride, but they often do and of course when this happens, we always thank the climbing riders for letting us go.