Trailer for kids?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Skidmark, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

My daughter just bought a Globe Vienna to help get back into shape after having our new grandaughter. We want to take the baby riding as soon as she can sit up and wear a helmet. Any suggestions as to a good baby trailer would be appreciated. Thanks, Rick

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Either Burley, or that pink and green one, which I cannot recall the name of. We put my son in one at two months. A trip to the crafts store for some webbing and buckles, and we fabricated a seatbelt to strap his baby seat in with.

He started UCCS this year, in their honors program.

3. Ashivon

Ashivon Guest

I went with a older Burley I picked up at a yard sale, and used the infant car seat with it. Strapped down with the buckles more webbing.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Great minds think alike.

5. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

So far no rides for the baby, just baby sitting while mom rides. Baby's doc says no bouncing for first six months due to SID. Been watching craigslist and garage sales.

6. Ashivon

Ashivon Guest

the doc's in germany told us to take them outside even if it's cold, supposedly keeps them from getting croup. If you see one offered for sale from europe, it's probably a pretty good one with serious shock absorbers.:)

7. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

How do these trailers attach? A ball joint?

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

9. Ashivon

Ashivon Guest

It's this nasty kind of bark-like cough that doesn't go away for weeks.
    Supposedly keeping kids indoors all day, with no plants or exercise makes it worse.
    Seems like all the american kids would keep it all winter cause they never took the kids outside for fresh air, even if it was cold.

10. Ashivon

Ashivon Guest

the ones I've seen have that usually springy arm that attatches to the axel but some had bigger thick wheels almost like a mountain bike and sturdier ride. With like these airshock thingies ...lemmie find a picture. I guessed they wised up and now they offer baby slings for kids starting at 1 to 7 months old.

ps. okay I saw someone with this one but I thought it was a german brand or something. sorry bout dat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  11. roy

roy Guest

Any body recommend a good kids trailer manufacturer? I'm confused a ball joint to attach to a car or bike?

12. Ashivon

Ashivon Guest

Ball joint. I'm going to assume he ment bike.

As for trailers, I love em but some can cost you a bit, but they are worth it.

Burley makes em' niccee. (Got lucky at a yard sale for the first kid) But they can run from like 300 and up. If you get one when the baby is small, it should last you until he /she can ride themselves and live to haul groceries later.
    Had another second hand Burley, held up for a year but got bent in a move.

InStep makes the less pricey version for the occasional trip, and they make one that breaks down totally flat for travel.

The last one I actually spent money on LOL was a
    Schwinn. I paid about 250 and I've had it for about five months (with the 20inch wheels). We are in texas and it gets used daily..but I can see that the bottom canvas is also wearing thin early.:hate:

....and now nearly everyone throws in the bits that will convert it into a jogging stroller.

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm collecting parts to build my own. I've seen a lot of really impressive builds and I have to at least give it a try. I'm confused about the ball joint too. Is that some sort of back attachment ?

14. Ashivon

Ashivon Guest

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  15. wallydude

wallydude New Member

Years ago I had a Burley and loved it. The kids got older and I sold it. Well, then along came another (surprise) and I wantd a trailer again. This time I came across Chariot, a Canadian trailer maker, and bought their Couger version. Wow, I love that thing. My little one (six now) doesn't want to ride in it anymore so it sits on a shelf in the garage waiting to be used again. I have often thought about taking the dogs for a ride but then realized that they probably wouldn't like it and would whine the entire time. So, now, I'm left with waiting for a grand child to pull around. There are many makers of trailers out there with outstanding products. A good site to check is: Bicycle Trailers & Child Bike Seats - Reviews & Fast Shipping Remember, though, you do get what you pay for. Good luck.
    Oh yeah, I also wanted to mention that it is not recommended for infants because the neck strength is not there yet. I guess if one mounts a child set in the trailer all should be ok but you surely don't want to ride in any rough stuff. Good luck.

16. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm still confused. I tried to look at how there connected and I don't see a ball hitch. How are all these things connected?

17. wallydude

wallydude New Member

It might help if you visit the suggested website in my post, then, click on a trailer that you like, check the accessories section for hitch mounts for that particular trailer and, then, enlarge the picture to get a better view. Each manufacturer has their own version of a hitch mount. The Burly I had differered from the Chariot I have. And, in between, I had a less expensive In Step (I believe) that used yet another type mount. I think all the differences come from companies not being able to copy hitch designs because of patent infringement. I like the Chariot design although it seems a bit heavy and I don't like leaving it on all the time (it's very quick to change out...replacement skewer with hitch mount that I swap with my original Cannondale skewer). I didn't care for the In Step version, and the Burley design (at the time as I'm not sure how a new Burley trailer's hitch works) was acceptable, too.

18. Ashivon

Ashivon Guest

:)you got it....mounted it like a car seat facing towards the rear, with the little head thing that keeps their heads from bobbing about.

19. wallydude

wallydude New Member

Funetical,

Did you decide on a trailer, yet?