trainer

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by chibibike, Mar 28, 2011.

1. chibibike

chibibike Banned

I wanna get a trainer what is a good one for under $250? I want the ability to have the most resistance I can get.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Drag a car tire behind your bike.

3. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

What you probably want is a fluid trainer where resistance is adjusted by shifting the gears on your bike. That being said spinning is just as important as resistance. Most people tend to spin too slowly, myself included. Higher rpm with less stress reduces the chance of injury to joints. The most stress you put on a knee the more likely you are to pull or tear something. Yes you want to ride with some resistance, but not necessarily have resistance as a goal. Intervals of higher resistance to simulate a climb, the lesser to simulate flat land. There are some dvds that can give you guidance and are actually like spin classes.

4. chibibike

chibibike Banned

well i've been looking at performace bike at the travel trac trainers, are those ok?

5. Industry_Hack

Moot point. You will not be able to spin out in your max gear (nine or ten speed, doesn't matter) on the highest resistance setting, so it doesn't matter which one you get. Price has nothing to do with resistance amount.

6. chibibike

chibibike Banned

but i wanna be able to set the trainer to give more resistance like i'm going uphill. I don't just wanna spin fast like i'm going on flat ground all the time.

7. Industry_Hack

Do deep squats, where your butt is below your knees. That will blow out your knees faster, and you won't have to buy any new equipment to do it.

8. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well there are three basic types of trainers. One for you I would rule out right away and that's rollers. They are difficult to get used to and I am told will make you a smoother rider, but you can also easily come off of them. Not something Id recommend for a beginner, but others may disagree and have valid reasons for it. I tried them and the risk of coming off them and falling was not worth the gain.

Magnetic trainers are next. They use an external button, that the rider can vary the resistance in several different levels.

I would recommend a fluid trainer. The resistance is adjusted by shifting gears on your bike. Want more resistance, shift. Want less resistance, shift. Just like on a bike ride, shifting gears adjusts how hard you work.

9. chibibike

chibibike Banned

10. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

cycling is all about spinning.... i have a trainer i ride after dark or when i watch tv.... resistance is not a big thing it is about rpms and cadence..
    that looks pretty nice... i say get a set of rollers!
    when you can ride rollers well for an extended period at a steady spin you truly will improve as a cyclist.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  11. SprocketGirl

good point... hmmm
    what if one just likes to own equipment?
    i still say go with the tire behind your bike like first suggested. honestly, no joke the best training i have found is spin bikes.... i rarely put my bike on a trainer since i got one of these.

LeMond Fitness | Products | LeMond RevMaster | RevMaster Pro

you can get spin bikes for way less money but my pops got me this and it rocks! you can make the tension to the point you have to stand to even move the pedals... but that is not the point of indoor spinning! or is it?

12. Industry_Hack

Hey, I was being serious. I had a friend in Australia that raced mountain bikes, and his little backyard track was brutal, but he rode it dragging a car tire, which made him a pretty strong rider. One of the girls in my MTB club was a terrible rider, but killed it on the climbs, as she did two or three spin classes a week. And if you're going to mash on a trainer, you're going to wreck your knees.

13. SprocketGirl

well... the spin classes i believed, i just thought the tire thing was a joke. honestly spinning has helped me a ton.

14. Industry_Hack

Aussies seem more inclined to do the hardcore stuff, especially DH. Take Nathan Rennie, for instance...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ3x5nVoLWM]YouTube - Nathan jump downhill[/ame]

15. SprocketGirl

that is insane but somebody give that boy a shirt...

16. Tedzo

Tedzo Who put that curb there?

Chibibike, I will swear by indoor training on a fluid resistance trainer in the Winter. But it can be boring as hell. I don't read or watch TV, as they distract me from keeping my cadence high. I will recommend Spinervals training videos though. They kill me!

I ride my trainer using a Cateye bike computer with a rear wheel sensor. That way I can keep track of my "speed," time, "distance" and pedaling cadence. Speed is not that important, it's your pedaling cadence that you want to watch. I try to keep it at 80 rpm or above, no matter what gear I have settled into. High cadence helps protect your knees, as has been mentioned above by others as being important.

Indoor trainers are the price you pay for living in a climate that snows in the Winter. Grrrr. (...and brrr :))

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011