Trainers

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by gatorguy, Nov 27, 2009.

1. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

Currently I train on a Schwinn Airdyne. It works OK, but I'm looking for a trainer that will better simulate road conditions (gear changes rather than just pedaling faster) as well as give me saddle time on my own bikes. I'm looking for opinions on roller systems and fluid/mag trainers. There are a lot of brands out there too, so if you can speak to the advantages of one vs the other, that would be great.

I'm looking to stay under $250 and have no issues with buying used.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  2. madal

madal New Member

Hi Gatorguy, I've just put a thread on the "Indoor Cycling" section showing my set up, I've done a copy & paste thing so hope fully it'll work, here goes:)

Cheaper than chips MTB with a trainer rear tire sitting on a Elite fluid trainer

Attached Files:

3. madal

madal New Member

:eek: It worked:D. Now then I have only started with this trainer this Winter and have not used any other, so I can't advise on other makes.

This one does not use the bikes gears, it has it's own cable/lever with five "gears" and I find it excellent. I hate any sort of indoor training so for me to not mind using this comes as quite a shock to me.

I spend 20mins to 1hr+ on it and find that I can cope with the longer sessions better if I listen to music or watch a DVD while I sit there pumping the pedals.

As I decided to use a really basic MTB, I swapped the bars on it for a set off an old exercise bike to get different positions for every session and also fitted a trainer tire.

Al:)

4. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

5. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I use the Blackburn Trackstand Fluid Trainer. I like it a lot and I paid a little under $200 for it new. It works real well and because it is fluid, the resistance is based on what gear you are in. I have a few workouts that I have created and uploaded to my Garmin so that I don't just peddle at the same cadence for hours. I can usually get a real good workout in just 60 minutes. I have never tried rollers or another trainer for that matter so I don't have much to compare mine too. Most importantly, I use it almost every day during bad weather so it obviously works enough to keep my interest.

6. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

So what is the difference between fluid and mag trainers?

7. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Um, fluid resistance vs. magnetic resistance. :D

8. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

Thanks, that helps. :rolleyes:

So they both feel the same such that if you didn't know what you were riding, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  9. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

A magnetic trainer uses....of course magnets for its resistance. The models of magnetic trainers will very from the cheapest having only a few resistance settings to some of the real expensive ones that actually hook to your tv and allow resistance changes based on computer like programs.

A fluid trainer uses....fluid in a confined space to create hydraulic resistance (not my definition, cycling-review.com). The resistance is changed by you changing gears....so many people say this gives you the most "road like feel". I would say I agree, but that wouldn't be fair since I haven't used a mag trainer before.

Now you can search the web and find many pros and cons about each. When I was shopping, I was really leaning towards the fluid but I was concerned about tire ware (turned out not to be an issue) and leaking oil. Many low end fluid trainers I checked out had reviews mentioning they leaked after a few hundred miles. I have used mine for almost 1,000 miles now and I have had no problems with it.

Hope this helps and good luck....

10. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

No worries, man. I just remebered those, because I had posted to them.

11. FactionCyclingCo

FactionCyclingCo Guest

I have a CycleOps Wind. It's loud.

12. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I got a set of the Bikenashbar rollers and am very impressed with them. The workout is much stronger than I expected. I set it up in a doorway and after a few minutes I had it figured out even though I did run off a few times. The trick seems to be to not look down. Look 5-10' ahead. And it works.

My one problem is my Garmnin Edge 305 doesn't seem to work when stationary. I thought with the cadence monitor it would work but it doesn't.