Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to upgrade the stock wheels that came on my Windsor Dover. I have been riding them for four years now and would like to get something a little smoother and a little lighter. The stock wheels are Alex DA22, 36 spoke laced to generic hubs. Now, as I look around at wheelsets, I am seeing that the sets in my price range are described as great for training, or excellent for training and casual group racing. Then, the wheels that are out of my budget are described as pure racing wheels. What is it about the wheelsets that designate them for either training wheels or racing wheels? Are the racing wheels more fragile due to a much lighter weight and fewer spokes? Are training wheelsets supposed to be more bomb proof due to a heavier weight? The price range I am wanting to stay in is around $200-ish. Perhaps at this price range I won't really find an upgrade to what I already have? Thanks.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,623 Posts
true racing wheels are super light and of course some strength is lost... but i am sure you can upgrade your wheels for a lighter better and still durable set. i recently found a set of Miche wheels on clearance for less than have of the suggested retail. my point shop and be willing to take some time. it will happen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, SG. I have been looking around and found a few I am interested in. Those being - Neuvation M28's, Forte Titans, Planet X USA Model B's, Shimano R500's, and Open Sport / 105's. All but the latter similar prices. The Open Sports were a little more, and a box rim 32/32, and perhaps a bit more reliable... I'm still looking around though.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Patience. I found a new set of cheap fixed gear wheels on my local classifieds for $35. I bought them, flipped them for $80, then found another really nice set for $140. If you can continue saving while you look, you will find deals like that.

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I only found deals like that when one of two things existed.

1. I didn't have the cash to buy it anyway.

2. Didn't have permission to buy it from the boss, and the forgiveness rather than permission had already been recently used and best not pressed too far

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up a set of Vuelta Corsa Pro's from a eBay store and I'm very happy with them. They are not the lightest wheels around @ 2006g, but for $199 shipped they rock. They came true and round out of the box with skewers and rim tape.

Corsa Pro 700c Clincher Black - Road Wheels - Wheels

Price went up since I bought mine.
VUELTA CORSA PRO CLINCHR 700c R/F WheelSet 9/10 speed - eBay (item 330533050125 end time Jun-19-11 19:07:42 PDT)
I actually found the same wheelset at Nashbar for $169 before shipping... Good to hear someone has them and likes them.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I actually found the same wheelset at Nashbar for $169 before shipping... Good to hear someone has them and likes them.

They are great riding wheels... I'm loving them... Thinking about selling my Bontrager Race wheels I'm running on my Prestige and buying a second set of the Pro's..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. How much credit are the reviews on Road Bike Review worth? Reason I ask, is that alot of the wheels I have been interested in seem to get pretty lousy reviews... Do you all use that source as a purchasing deciding factor?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I like these training wheels:

·
Registered
35 Posts
fulcrum racing 7

Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels are definitely worth considering.

A good friend of mine, who doesn't treat his bike particularly well, has been done about 3000 miles of pot-holed London commuting on them. They haven't gone out of true and still spin beautifully.

They'd would certainly be a noticeable improvement on your stock wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts