Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must say I'm a proud dad right now. My 3yr old is cruising with no training wheels. He had been riding with the training wheels way up high so the bike would practically fall over if they touched. Finally, last week I took them off. He cried for a minute then hopped on and took off. It only took a couple of days for him to figure out how to start off on his own without falling over. Needless to say his elbows and knees are a little scraped up. He's very determined and doesn't get frustrated and quite.

Right now he's on a 12" but it's quickly getting small for him. His birthday is in Aug so maybe we'll get a 14" for him.

We have an ABA bmx track 10mins from us. It would be great to get him into that if he's interested. We've taken him to watch races there and he loves it!

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
That's awesome. My youngest grandson did his first bike ride without training wheels this past weekend. Now he wants to ride with grandpa.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
weaver said:
Must say I'm a proud dad right now. My 3yr old is cruising with no training wheels. He had been riding with the training wheels way up high so the bike would practically fall over if they touched. Finally, last week I took them off. He cried for a minute then hopped on and took off. It only took a couple of days for him to figure out how to start off on his own without falling over. Needless to say his elbows and knees are a little scraped up. He's very determined and doesn't get frustrated and quite.

Right now he's on a 12" but it's quickly getting small for him. His birthday is in Aug so maybe we'll get a 14" for him.

We have an ABA bmx track 10mins from us. It would be great to get him into that if he's interested. We've taken him to watch races there and he loves it!
No better riding partner! :) Like your son, mine ( now 6) got out of the trainers about the same age. Today we did a 4 mile ride and he is climbing hills like a pro! Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrats! These days where parenting seems risk averse, it seems that a few scrapes are something to be avoided at all costs.

He's ahead of a lot of kids several years older (and some adults). Great work!

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Hazy said:
No better riding partner! :) Like your son, mine ( now 6) got out of the trainers about the same age. Today we did a 4 mile ride and he is climbing hills like a pro! Congrats and enjoy!
An old biking friend of mine once told me, when he learned my wife was expecting our first child.....Right now, you think these (the guys we were riding with) are your buddies...but just wait 'till you can ride and hang out with your kid....there is nothing like it in the world.....

He had been watching his son circling around on his bike, as he was telling me this.
I didn't fully understand the emotion behind his words, until our child arrived.

Congrats on raising a biking "buddy."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I tell ya, this little guy rides like a bat outta hell! Scares me a little. He wiped out hard yesterday. Over the bars and everything. I thought for sure he broke something. Thank goodness he didn't. No tears either. Just hopped back on that bike and kept on going.

Hopefully one day he will want a MTB! That's what I enjoy most and would really like to share that with him.

I have some video I'll have to upload.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I looking foward to my grate grandson rideing, you guys are realy making it tough on me with the photos you are posting :)

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
I haven't seen ANY video on here....didn't know it could be done.
I'd love to see.
The enthusiasm of a child on a bike is a contagious thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mr cool. All grown up now haha. Before I know it he'll be on the 20" GT that's hanging up in our garage.

What's really cool is he's very interested in riding off road trails. That'll be some fun when we can mountain bike together. Hope I can keep up when that day comes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts