Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, I'm a senior in college and my parents not too long ago bought me a 2010 Specialized Allez for making good grades...I've always wanted to get into cycling...and since I'm a poor student eating way too many ramen noodles, well, I just can't justify paying for a training program or book n training

During the week I work out my upper body with weights...Mon is chest and back...Tues or Wed I do arms and shoulders...every day that I'm not in the gym I do abs and push/sit/pull ups to keep toned. I'd say I also run 3 days a week most weeks.

I'm about 135-140 lbs, 5'10, and very lean.

My goal is to just start hammering away on the bike....I've been out for rides quite a bit, bit would like to add some basic structure to my week on the bike. At this point my goal is to get out 2-3 times per week and to improve every week. Any suggestions for basic workouts that I can taper up would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey man I'll get back with you later today about your training questions. Be safe and enjoy the weather man. Talk soon.

Cheers

·
Registered
77 Posts
What are your goals? Triathlons, duathlons, centuries, fast club ride, centuries, racing? You have to kind of structure your training to suite your goals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10-4 to that. I'd eventually like to work up to an Olympic distance triathlon, but my over-arching goal is to apply for an officer commission into BUD/s (Navy SEALs basic training)....really my intention is to use this for mental training since that is such a large component of cycling, but for all intents and purposes, triathlons at this stage are what I would consider my goal (while still maintaining the rest of my fitness regimen)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
The easiest way to go about the off the bike training, is a MWF program that hits the body feet to fingers. The body building split routine will work, but the 3-day a week schedule will save you a ton of time, and take you a lot farther. Especially for someone in their 20's.

I'd recommend picking up kettlebells and learn how to do the Turkish Get Up and Swing. Those two exercises alone will give you a ton of mileage. Now they can both get tricky quickly so DO NOT DO THEM unless you get a qualified trainer to show you.

The other thing I'd recommend is picking up "The Time Crunched Cyclist" to help you on the bike. Off the bike, I can't recommend highly enough, "The New Rules of Lifting" book series by Alwyn Cosgrove and Lou Shuler. By far the best training books on the market right now for people with enough discipline to workout on their own.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Estalish a base ride of 25 miles or so. Do that with 75% effort 3 times a week. You'll be holding your self back at times. Once your routine is establish its time to incorproate power intervals.Warm up for 20 minutes easy. Find a long stretch of road or a long hill. Hit it at a high cadence and go near max effort for 5 minutes. Rest for a minute, then repeat. Repeat this exercise at least three times in a row, then go home. After a few weeks your fitness will improve. I recommend finding you local bike club and joining their ride. It will help you to ride faster and with a pack. Their is no more a glorious feeling zipping along with a group at a high rate of speed when you has the fitness. The group will also educate you on proper bike ediquitee, which will enable you to ride with anyone anywhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts