Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my local Craigslist is a 1994 Trek 2200 tri bike that is mostly carbon fiber. It's selling for $450 and is said to be in great shape. This sounds a little too cheap to me. Would this be a good deal, or is there something about carbon fiber I don't know?

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Several things. First off buying used carbon fiber is a risky venture unless you know what to look for in damaged carbon. If you're dead set on looking at it then do so when an LBS is open and take it to them to have them look over every possible inch of the bike for evidence of damage. Also while their looking at have them check for wear items that may need to be replaced so you can get a true picture of future repair costs. Once the LBS has given it the OK ask them what they think it's worth. I don't know you, so forgive me if I sound like I think you don't know a thing about bicycles, but for that reason that I don't know you I have to assume the worst.

A 94 for $450 is not too cheap, maybe too much, it's an old bike and it has no vintage value, but what I don't know is if $450 is too much for that bike, I know it sold new for around $1200 now 17 years later what is it worth? I don't know. I did do a quick e-bay check and there is one there (small size) with 105 components that got $410, I think generally E-Bay bikes go for more then their worth if that's any help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts