Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to cycling. I'm looking for a speedy commuter hybrid type bike. I want it to be sporty but also be able to handle packed dirt and crushed gravel trails. I will mainly be on the road however. I have narrowed it down to these two bikes but I was also looking at a schwinn volare and a schwinn tourist. I would probably have to put a slightly wider tire on one of those because the tourist comes with a 28 mm. So any advice on these or others would be much appreciated. Cost is a factor as well. Trying to stay around 350-400. If the pdx is that much better I might be willing to save up the extra green and get it. I would also like to use this as a fitness bike for longer rides.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
The Trek PDX is the lighter of the two bikes. It comes with 32's for tires but they could easily except a 35 if you want a wider tire. Personally I wouldn't even consider the Schwinns unless your absolutely at your price limit and can't do the Trek. These Walmart Schwinns come with some poor components and in the long haul you will be getting frustrated with repairs.

Right now is a good time to buy the Trek from a dealer because of end of year close out sales, so you could score the Trek for almost as much as one of the Scwhinns. And maybe, just maybe, your Trek dealer may have a left over bike or two from last year that they may be willing to cut a bigger deal on and get a slightly better bike then even the PDX?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts