Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I scored a new Sawyer (Gary Fisher design) all-steel rigid frame on fleabay.
Planning on building it as a Gates carbon belt-drive singlespeed 29er. Might take me a few months, due to coin, or shortage thereof. So far, I've got the frame/fork, handlebars (Bonty Crivitz, 25 deg backsweep), and a Selle Italia Man Gelflow saddle.
I've been toying with the idea of getting Spinergy wheels with colored spokes. Thinking of blue or yellow?
Any opinions welcomed. I've already got more blue components in mind, such as a blue Cane Creek headset, Portland Design Works speed metal blue grips, and Avid Elixir XO disc brakes in black & blue. The seat is black. Thinking of getting a Ti seatpost. Plus the Gates belt has blue on the inside too. The frame is satin dark gray.
Right now it's just a paper build. Plenty of time to make the coolest choices, but would appreciate more input from
other riders.
Not sure about the gear ratios either.
Any other belt drivers out there?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts

cool project!!
I put a belt on my sawyer for winter riding. I geared it as close as i could to the fisher rig because i was nervous dropping down all that cash and not knowing the gear ratio but so far I like it and don't think the gears will ever make it back on.
I think adding some blue like on the belt will be slick.

·
Registered
3 Posts

the closest ratio for a belt drive to the Rig is 46T chain ring with a 24T cog which comes out to be 4.0 inches to the Rigs 3.7

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So that is a 46t chainring? I was told (I guess incorrectly) that the largest chainring the Sawyer would take is the 39t, due to clearance with chainstay.
That's good news. Is your bottom bracket 73x118?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a helpful email from Steve at Gates, who said that at the end of April, they will release their new 46t CenterTrack front pulley that is Sawyer compatable, and when matched with the rear 20t cog, will give a 2.3 ratio.
I'm planning of using Schwalbe Big Apple street tires. It's all good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice. I likt those tires. And I think the center tracks gotta be better.

I just picked up speedplay drillium pedals that are pretty cool.

post picks of your bike when you are done w/ it.
later-

·
Registered
2 Posts
gates belt drive

I got a helpful email from Steve at Gates, who said that at the end of April, they will release their new 46t CenterTrack front pulley that is Sawyer compatable, and when matched with the rear 20t cog, will give a 2.3 ratio.
I'm planning of using Schwalbe Big Apple street tires. It's all good.
Hi BuddyShagmore!

I just wish to ask how much did it cost you for putting the Gates Belt drive in your Sawyer?

Gotta Sawyer too and planning to change its chains to carbon belt drive.

I have been exchanging emails with Steve too but he transfered me to his guy from Gates to deal with him since I'm from Japan. Havent heard of them more than a month now.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gates said the 20t rear cog won't be available until fall...soon I hope. So my
build is still incomplete...I haven't acquired the wheels, brakes, or drivetrain yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
converted my Sawyer to belt drive just before they changed over to center- track (wished they told me it was coming out- it was announced the following month) and have since converted back to chain drive. no matter how tight i made it it would ratchet. i hate Gates. they told me the sawyer was not designed to be used with their system and could not guarantee that it would work properly. i hate gates. they blamed me for not setting it up correctly, when my shop set it up for me... i hate Gates..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I finally finished my build. Pics to follow. I went with the Gates Center Track 46 (5 bolt) / 20, with a 115 belt. It's kinda tall geared, but very smooth once you get going. Those Big Apple 29s are nice.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey there Buddy!

Your actual price may have been over three thousand dollars, but you end up with customized jewel that's simply priceless!

PS.

Luvs me a Sawyer! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts