Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm just getting into biking. I have a Trek hybrid 700 I have been riding for about a month (got it used for $40). I'm riding about 10-12 miles every day and I'm considering getting a road bike.

I was looking on craigslist and I found a Trek SL2200, It's a 2002 and hasn't been ridden since 2006 and they said it had new tires put on it in 2004, from 04-06 had around 250 miles on it and has been hanging in the garage since. They are asking $400, is this worth looking at? Could it have any problems from sitting? Any help would be appreciated, I don't know much about bikes in general yet.
Also it was ridding by a women, isn't this a mans bike? I'm a 28 year old male. I don't want to go look at it if it's a women's bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks very similar, but it's solid red. It does have the Shimano 105. I will email them again and ask if it's women specific.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
58cm Trek SL2200 Road Bike
Full Shimano 105 hardware groupset
Shimano Pedals
Rolf Vector Black/Silver Race Wheels
Icon Stem and Handlebars/Graphite
Continental 25-622 (700x25c) Super Sport Tires
Catseye Bike Computer-Astrale 8
Red Trek Helmet
Schwinn seat on back with extra Elle Italia FeC Alloy seat

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry the picture didn't show up. I'm trying to copy the link, but I'm on my phone. It's on craigslist in Evansville, IN under bikes. Asking $400. It's still close to the top. If you search Trek it should be one of the first bikes

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I have one in my basement.
It has a mix of Ultegra and 105.

I bought mine from some shyster in Canada. It needed a little work (wheels had been abused), but once I got it going, it rode well. I put several thousand miles on mine, before replacing it with a new to me Specialized this year.
The poor 2200 looks sad next to the weight bench.
I haven't decided if I'm selling mine, or keeping it as my snow & cinder bike. :)
Note: the seller of the bike you are looking at may be related to the Canadian I bought mine from. I believe he has a brother in the used car business, and I believe he used every line in the book when talking to you. ;)
Use caution. Take someone with experience when you look it over.
For me, the 2200 was a great first road bike. I hope this works out for you.

Let us know what you do.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Looks good. Have you been fitted to a bike yet to know what size you need? Makes huge difference. Thought I needed a 54 when in fact 52 was perfect. There are websites that can give you ball park sizes. Search road bike sizing.

All that gear listed seems good for the price, you will want a better saddle.for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
omnivox42 said:
Can you paste a link? Is the top tube heavily slanted?
The top is straight. To me it looks like a mans bike. A lady replied to my email and said she stopped riding it after she had her third child... That's why I was wondering about it being a mens bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have looked online, I took my measurements and I think I should be on a 56cm.I know this one is a 58cm but for the price I'm thinking about looking at it and just see how it feels.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
There are some adjustments that may help get you fitted if it is a little large.

Saddle position, stem length and angel, etc. I'll let a pro step in for.that advice.

Give it a ride and.see how.it feels. Really that is.the only way to be.sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts