Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the trek verve 1 and giant cypress any input on which is a better bike. I have been leaning to treks but I havent test rode either yet.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Similar bikes. If you like the people at the Trek dealer better than the people at the Giant dealer or vice versa, that's a valid way to choose. A good shop will be helpful with fit, maintenance, warranty issues should they arise. Friendly helpful people are a plus.

Test ride.

If still undecided, pick the one with the nicest color. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong cuz the guy at my local bike store told me this but he said treks use oddball bolts and nuts so it's harder to find bolts and nuts for them but giant uses more standard bolts and nuts, I don't know if this is true but that's what the guy said....

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Tell the odd ball at your LBS he is full of baloney.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking to get a Hybrid. Want to be more upright for my back. But do want as much performance as I can get. I will use it for fitness riding and around town. Mostly on street, but would like to be able to ride in the park too on fire roads and hard pack dirt once in a while.

Looking at Jamis Coda Comp vs Trek FX 7.4. Like the "soft" steel feel of Coda Comp but the Trek seems fast and agile. Can not find 2012 Coda Comp anymore and some are saying the 2013 are lower end components now - it is almost $100 cheaper than the '12. Also will need to raise handle bars on both - some say that is harder on Jamis Coda Comp. Any input would be really appreciated.

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
No idea on those but my specialized expedition sport hybrid is super nice. I use it for my exercise ridge when my road bike is down, do family rides with my youngest son, and ride the dirt/sand trails through the brush on it. It's a great bike and it's very easy to raise and lower the parts for the different uses I am doing that day

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not too familiar with either of the bikes you mentioned, but keep in mind that once you get over about $500, the lower end components are still perfectly serviceable. And when you have two bikes at roughly the same price point, the spec and quality are about equal, so it comes down to personal preference, and maybe SRAM over Shimano or RST over Suntour. Unless you get a closeout, no one brand is really a better value than another.

That said, Giant is the world's largest manufacturer of bicycles, and Jamis is a relatively small brand. Raleigh doesn't have a lot of presence in the US, but they make good bikes too.

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts
Looking to get a Hybrid. Want to be more upright for my back. But do want as much performance as I can get. I will use it for fitness riding and around town. Mostly on street, but would like to be able to ride in the park too on fire roads and hard pack dirt once in a while.

Looking at Jamis Coda Comp vs Trek FX 7.4. Like the "soft" steel feel of Coda Comp but the Trek seems fast and agile. Can not find 2012 Coda Comp anymore and some are saying the 2013 are lower end components now - it is almost $100 cheaper than the '12. Also will need to raise handle bars on both - some say that is harder on Jamis Coda Comp. Any input would be really appreciated.
It's not hard to change raise the handle bars on a Jamis Coda, If you remove the "stem" cover piece, you can have the LBS fill the space needed with "spacers", and get either a "more angle stem or a adjustable stem". I had mine on my Coda Sport, switched out from a 10 degree, 120mm stem to a 35 degree, 110mm stem to bring the bars, "higher and a bit closer to me", FYI. Don't let the componet HYPE get to you, The comp has decent componets that work well! I've been "extremely" happy with my 2012 Jamis Coda Sport and it has lower grade componets than the Comp model and it works great, even pulling a utility trailer! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ended up buying the trek 7.2 fx rides nice.
HEY! I just got one, Yesterday! :thumbsup: I got a Blue 17.5". The wife got a Red 15" WDS.

Correct me if I'm wrong cuz the guy at my local bike store told me this but he said treks use oddball bolts and nuts so it's harder to find bolts and nuts for them but giant uses more standard bolts and nuts, I don't know if this is true but that's what the guy said....
When I got it home, last night, I started checking fasteners, that I thought I may have to mess with, on the road, to see what kind of tools I would carry.
Both wheels are quick release and just about everything else took the same sized Allen.
Me thinks your LBS guy is full of horse hockey, either accidentally or on purpose. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts