trigger shifter

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by wild, Aug 24, 2009.

1. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

What is the best 9spd trigger shifter. :confused:

2. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

Best for what? For who? "Best" is rather subjective...

Some people like Shimano, some people like SRAM. Personal choice.
    Some people like LX/XT or X7/X9, as they're both cheaper than XTR and XO while working identically, and you don't cry when you break them.

Some people like XTR and XO, for saving weight (and having some bling for looking pretty at the trailhead).

Your shop would prefer you bought the XTR/XO, as the profit margin is best for helping them pay their bills.

3. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Well that depends. If you have a Shimano rear derailleur you have to use a Shimano shifter. If you have Sram you have to use a Sram shifter.

IMO, quality wise, Sram and Shimano are about equal. There are the different levels: X0, X9, X7.... and XTR, XT, LX...., but functionally they are all the same. The more expensive stuff looks better and is lighter. Personally, I've always like Sram, but I think Shimano has one upped them with the current generation stuff that shifts both ways (push or pull).

4. wild

Well what I was after was, if you were buying a hybrid what woould you look for in a shifter, derailer, 9speed what gears , chainring

5. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Sram and Shimano are still going to be what you find on most hybrid bikes.
    Quality wise, I really don't think that there is any discernible difference between the two. It really comes down to which one feels better to you.

Gearing is also going to depend on your personal preference. If you live where there are many hills and steep climbs, you probably want to run mtn gears. If the terrain that you ride is not that hilly, you will probably be better off with a higher gearing like a road bike. If it were my bike, I'd probably go with a mtn bike profile like 22/32/48 chainrings and an 11/32 cassette. That way I can climb anything and still go plenty fast. Frankly, with a 24 or 27 speed hybrid, no matter what gears you choose you're going to be fine.

6. wild

I road the Jamis Allegro 2x it was 50-39-30 with 9spd 11-32 I tryed it on a hill that I clime with my Explorer 2 it wa san easer clime evean with the higher ratio. I didn't like the shifters as much as mine . The outher bikes I am looking at are the Fuji sunfire and maybe a bad boy ultra. I am sure there are a lot of outhers. The sunfire & bad boy were 48-36-26 all had a 11-32 9spd. My explorer is 48-38-28 7spd 14-34 with a 26x 1.95 and the outhers have a 700 rim

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  7. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Now this is just me, but when rolling 9-speed, you'll not find Shimano on my bike; and since I'm rolling 9-speed on my Dakar XLT, it's all SRAM...well, with the lone exception of XTR brake cables..........THAT is the ONLY Shimano I will allow on my bikes. To run reliable Shimano, you have to go back to 8-speed, IMO.