Trying to figure out what kind of bike I'm looking for

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Catma, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Catma

Catma New Member

The old Huffy which I'd been riding for years is getting quite beaten up. I might be able to repair it, but I want something new.

I have a lot of requirements for my perfect bike, but I can't seem to find them in any particular type of bike or brand. I don't know what to look for even. I seem to be leaning towards a cruiser, but there are problems.

I want a single speed bike. I want the pedals/gears/brakes and such to function the way my current bike (a cruiser) does: I can coast with the pedals not moving, yet moving the pedals backwards brakes the bike. Nobody seems able to tell me what this is. It isn't a fixie, right?

I need to be able to sit up straight. I don't care that this makes me less aerodynamic.

I would like thin tires, I guess, which are apparently more efficient or something like that. Cruisers usually have big fat tires. This isn't really necessary I suppose, I've been riding my cruiser around on its big tires and it feels fine.

Lastly, I find the curved frames of cruisers to be hideous. They would be great bikes if not for this. I also don't like the big, fat frames that are on BMX bikes.

My budget is also pretty spare, $100-$200. I would be interested in knowing about more expensive bikes that fit more closely, though I probably wouldn't be buying them.

Feel free to look at me funny for having this weird set of requirements. Great thanks in advance for anything that fits!

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I guess from your tires comments, you'll mostly be riding on fairly smooth, paved or hardpacked surfaces. Also, how many miles on average will you be riding?

Welcome to TwoSpoke!

3. Gandalfe

Gandalfe '57 Schwinn Wasp

4. Catma

Catma New Member

Thank you for the welcome and recommendation!

I will be riding in Queens, which is flat as a pancake, for about a 4-5 mile commute. I've ridden this sort of distance before on my old bike and was comfortable enough.

The cutter will force me to be bent over, and make it impossible to sit up. I can't ride that for 30 minutes or an hour... just too uncomfortable.

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Finding a single speed with a coaster brake may represent a challenge. Can you post a photo of your current bike?

6. Catma

Catma New Member

I don't have a photo or camera handy but I'm pretty sure it's a Huffy Santa Fe. Model number on the bike is k6249k. Google search just suggests that this could be the santa fe, pictures seem to confirm it.

Edit: It looks much like this: http://www.propertyroom.com/itemdetails.aspx?l=7188005#

I can't believe it's so uncommon. Every bike I've had in my life has worked that way. I guess insisting on a one-speed got me this one in teenage years, which might account for why it happened to be that kind of bike.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  7. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

You might consider a classic 3-speed. While it does have 3-speeds, it is internal gearing so no derailer/chain issues. Would have hand brakes, but as Hack said, finding a bike with a coaster brake that isn't a 20" BMX is difficult.

Would have the upright position you are looking for.

You could easily choose the gear that fits your ride best and never change it.

8. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

maybe something like this?

Attached Files:

9. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

To find one of those, I would need to look...

in my backyard.

10. Chuckroast

Chuckroast New Member

11. Catma

Catma New Member

Mmm... bikes are expensive. I'd rather take the time and get exactly what I want. I will probably install hand brakes on my bike eventually since coasters can be slightly murderous if the chain slips at the wrong time... but I will still mainly use the coasters.

Are BMX bikes terrible for a commute? They seem mostly very expensive so it's probably a moot question.

12. Catma

Catma New Member

There are occasional oddballs in every type. I'd need to decide by looking at it anyway, so I don't mind looking at bikes that meet my conditions. The trouble is finding any sort of selection, lol. But I guess you all realized that.

It's looking like within my budget I will not have a great deal of choice in frames.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  13. JK13

JK13 New Member

14. Catma

Catma New Member

Ooh, that's cool. Expensive, but cool. I'll keep it in mind.

15. JK13

JK13 New Member

:) tried to find something that met your criteria as far as looks, too. then can move on to price!

16. froze

froze Banned

There are a lot of old Schwinn late 60's to late 70's 3 speed upright bikes on Craigslist, and on occasion you can find one that was rarely ridden and in mint condition once cleaned up. These bikes were virtually bomb proof, just an occasional oiling of the 3 speed hub and lube the chain. They usually sell for around $100. They may come with 27" tires, which are hard to find, but Nashbar has a nice selection of them, and Walmart sells one. And the cool thing about these, is if you decide to sell it later you can get what you paid for it.