Two Spoke Forums banner

trying to remove crank arms. need help!!! =)

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  shorty 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm trying to remove the crank arms on my 88/89 Schwinn World Sport. First I took the protector cap off, then I took the nut off the bolt, and now I have simply a bolt sticking out and the crank arm won't come off.

I know I need a crank puller, but am unsure what kind I need and how to properly get the crank arms off the bike.

I know it's an old bike, so a lot of it's components are pain in the arse. I attached a photo to show you exactly what I'm talking about.

My main problem is that the whole crank set is super wobbly and I want it to be tight, so I can adjust the derailleurs properly.

So, my questions are what type of crank puller would I need and what steps do I need to take to properly tighten the crankset?

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
thanks! but, that bolt sticking out in my photo won't be in the way or cause a problem? I noticed in the other photo, there is no bolt.
That's very odd and the bolts are probably your problem. The bolt doesn't appear to be correct. It should be wide enough to pull the arm tight on the bottom bracket spindle. The correct bolts lok like this:

Yes, you do remove the bolt before using the crank puller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.