Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really want to invest too much in it, b/c it's just a bikesdirect windsor the hour. But I'd like to upgrade it a little. Are there certain areas on the bike you would focus on for quick performance lifts that may not cost too much?

·
215 Posts
Damm it, I posted but it didn't post, try again.

The biggest improvement in performance that you can fell comes from the wheels, but a new wheelset cost around $750 for fairly light and fairly aero design with decent quality components.

So the second best improvement that can be felt is lighter tires and tubes. You currently have either 23c's or 28c's Kenda tires that weigh at least 265grms. Nashbar has a good sale on some highly reviewed and regarded tires that weigh 220grms, see: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_537323_-1___202354

Also get some lighter tubes, again Nashbar has them on sale, these way about 75 grms vs about 110 for your current tubes, see: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_529248_-1___202355

Those two improvements will save you about 90 grams of rotating weight per wheel...this you will notice; and it will only cost you about $76 plus shipping...not bad considering you can pay $100 for a single bottle cage that will only save you 20 grams over some other bottles and you would never notice that lost of weight.

Then save your old tubes and tires for backups, but use one of your old tubes for a spare in your seat bag by rolling it up tight and placing a rubber band around it (a band might come with the new tube-reuse it) then put the tube in a baggy and stuff it in the seat bag. Save the tires in case you damage a tire beyond repair so you have a tire till you can get another.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
For the price, just ride it! I replaced the cranks, got some deep section aero rims, different tires, and swapped out the bars. In the end, it was heavier and slower than stock. But I have seen nice enough single speed wheelsets at my LBS for $125, which would be a good upgrade. Other than that, maybe bars and the seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The key upgrade, reflective tape over the brand name so it doesn't like so much like a Bikes Direct bike! :thumbsup: :D

·
215 Posts
The key upgrade, reflective tape over the brand name so it doesn't like so much like a Bikes Direct bike! :thumbsup: :D
With all that blank white reflector tape I would just stencil some brand on it, like Colnago or some such brand, or make up a brand name like Industry Hack then people will think you have a custom bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts