Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pluses and minuses?
Is there a clear winner in quality, ride, handling, sprinting, shock absorption, not a pain to mount tire...
Tubeless tire of choice?

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Like any tubeless, they are harder to mount than a tubed tire; think of it like putting a tire on the Katoom and then mounting a tubeless on a R1200GS. You'll have stiffer sidewalls for sure!

I do not have experience on cycling tubeless, but I may switch at some point due to the reduced puntures inherent in tubeless.

I am happy with tubes, easy peasy, especially compared to swapping a tube on a KLR or DRZ400!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I'm running them. I have the Campy Shamal wheels that allow me to run tubed or tubeless. The ride quality of the Hutchinson Fusion 3s is phenomenal, but so is the price. Retail for around 100 bucks a tire. If you shop around, about the best deal you'll find is low 70s. I rotate mine every 700 to 1000 miles and usually get about 2500-3000 miles out of a set. These are the only tires I have ran. I'm not sure how some of the others compare.

But, mounting them used to be a huge pain. I say used to be, because the Prestalevers have made it much easier. See my review of the levers here. I highly recommend getting some if you go tubeless.

I still carry a tube with me out on the road, and if I flat the tubeless, I simply install the tube and ride home. I've had two flats in about 6000 miles on the tubeless. One was a hard hit to the sidewall, and the other was on a tire that I really should have changed already.

Let me know any other specific questions you might have.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Considering it and trying to talk myself out of it. I want to try on my MTB first. Looking at using Stan's Notubes for all the advantages but I think the disadvantages out weigh in this case.

Cons - High(er) maintenance of having to refill with sealant periodically could/might outweigh the cost of tubes. If you would ever ride to the point of drop in the L.P. would suck on the road for sure I'm guessing. Point in case. Last group MTB ride was a 5 mile road ride ( where these guys averaged 17 mph down the road ) and then back would have been a PITA I'm guessing with that low pressure.

Pros - the obvious lower pressure, increased traction, better ride quality. Can't decide.

Anybody have anything to add to the Pros of doing it ?

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I live in the southwest. Goat heads are everywhere. I soon as the tire hits the road I get a flat. I have to use extra thick and liners, but they are heavy with wheel spin. Will tubeless solve my issue?

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I know of a cyclist out in Tucson who swears by Maxxis Re-Fuse. He claims the best protection against goat heads he has ever used.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I know of a cyclist out in Tucson who swears by Maxxis Re-Fuse. He claims the best protection against goat heads he has ever used.

Y'all make this so easy. Another one of our members swears by them too. Read about them here.

In that big lot of parts I bought, I found a new set of Hutchinson Atom tubeless. Nice looking tires, but I have nothing to put them on.

·
The Back Row
2,514 Posts
I'm running them. I have the Campy Shamal wheels that allow me to run tubed or tubeless. The ride quality of the Hutchinson Fusion 3s is phenomenal, but so is the price. Retail for around 100 bucks a tire. If you shop around, about the best deal you'll find is low 70s. I rotate mine every 700 to 1000 miles and usually get about 2500-3000 miles out of a set. These are the only tires I have ran. I'm not sure how some of the others compare.

But, mounting them used to be a huge pain. I say used to be, because the Prestalevers have made it much easier. See my review of the levers here. I highly recommend getting some if you go tubeless.

I still carry a tube with me out on the road, and if I flat the tubeless, I simply install the tube and ride home. I've had two flats in about 6000 miles on the tubeless. One was a hard hit to the sidewall, and the other was on a tire that I really should have changed already.

Let me know any other specific questions you might have.
Xela,
Have you had any tears? I've heard the sealant will spray all over the bike if you get a tear and is very difficult to clean up. Thanks.

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts
Xela,
Have you had any tears? I've heard the sealant will spray all over the bike if you get a tear and is very difficult to clean up. Thanks.
Even when using a "tube" and sealant, if you get a larger puncture, (nail or screw) and you've got a higher pressure tire, the sealant makes a real MESS untill it seals!! I use tubes and True Goo sealant and yes, it get's all over the bike when it blows out! :(:rolleyes: We have LOTS of Goat Head Throns here in So. Colorado so thicker rubber tires and sealant is a must or you'll be WALKING:eek:

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
If you're looking for a smoother ride, have you considered 25 cm tires? Most of them use less pressure than 23 cm tires and give you a less harsh and smoother ride.

For puncture resistant tires, there are several on the market that work really well. I have had good luck with Conti Gatorskins on my road bikes. Only one flat in three years and 8,000+ miles.

I've never ridden on tubeless, so I can't make a comparison for you.

·
retromike3
274 Posts
tube or not ?

A large part of that type of riding has to do with how good of a rider you are . I used to ride for thousands of miles on sew-ups. The idea is to ride were the glass isn't. and I made sure that I could reach down and wipe the junk off my tire with my gloves. The tire I got on my commuter now is a 28c and tire protectors and thorn prof tubes.

It seems to me that its really hard to get that "alive" feel that you have with a sew-up I think thats why there are still using them in the peliton.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
Xela,
I don't use sealant on my Fusion 3's and have had no problem with flatting. If I do I can always call my wife to come pick me up.

Someone suggested a 25mm tire for more comfort, this is true and good advice if you decide to stay with clinchers. I don't know if there are 25mm tubeless tires being made but if there is it's going to be my next tire when the Fusion's wear out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts