Tubes: Patch or Replace?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by HandsomeRyan, Sep 28, 2009.

1. I replace my tubes when they get holes.

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. I'll patch a tube once or twice then replace it.

22 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. I'll patch a tube 3 or more times.

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. N/A. I've never gotten a flat.

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Be honest, do you generally patch your tubes or just replace them?

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I replace on the trail, unless I'm out of tubes, then I patch. I do not throw away my tubes unless they are damaged beyond repair. I save them and patch them at home. I have tubes with at least 4 or 5 patches on them.

3. HandsomeRyan

Do you prefer the modern self adhesive patches or the old school patches that you have to glue on manually? I would have to say I prefer the older type as I've had better luck with them. I carry both since gluing patches can be really inconvenient if it's really cold or raining out.

4. hophead

I'm a gluer. I like to sit around drinking a nice pint of ale and patch my tubes the old fashioned way. Even if the "glueless" type work as well, they're more expensive and just not the same. I don't know how to explain it. I've been patching tubs the same way since I was a kid and I don't see any reason to change.

5. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

I carry 2 spare tubes and if they both puncture when out on the road i'll repair them there and then, but i normally just wait until i get home and repair them.

6. hophead

Incredibly, I have never had a flat tire on the road. At least since I was a kid. Freaky, eh?

I'll probably wish that I hadn't posted this, but I swear it's true.

7. HandsomeRyan

I hope you allow a little extra time in your ride schedule today to fix the flat you are sure to get since you posted this. :p

8. hophead

I had to drive today. Tomorrow will be my first two wheel commute of the week.
    [EDIT] Oops, I lied. Can't ride to work 'till Friday.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  9. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I replace the tube but keep the punctured one(s) and repair them when I get home. Then I have a nice tube to replace with a blown one on my next trip. I've always thought it was a waste to not try and repair them.

10. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I patch. Lately I've been patching like crazy with our drought and these thorn plants popping up.

11. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

oooh hophead the puncture fairy knows your home address and she will be paying you a visit

12. hophead

No worries, as long as she strikes while I'm home.;)

13. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Yet to have a flat but KNOW its in my future. Just took a class at the LBS on how to change the tube. Bought the kit with CO2 cartriges, patches, tools etc. Also picked up two tubes with the "slime" inside. I dont plan to patch the tube, only in a emergency if the two tubes are used.

14. HandsomeRyan

I know the little CO2 cylinders aren't cheap but you might want to pop one at home and practice with it as that isn't the kind of thing you want to be fumbling around trying to teach yourself trail-side, in the rain, while a hungry grizzly bear is slowly circling. :D

15. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I patch. But I usually carry spare tubes to give away on the trail. If I came across a girl with a flat, and she was cute, I'd patch it. If she wasn't cute, or had a ring on, I'd give her a tube. An inner tube. Um, a bicycle inner tube.

16. hophead

Another thing about CO2: If you use one on the road/trail, when you get back home or have access to a floor pump, let the CO2 out and replace with air. CO2 is a temporary quick fix, but goes away fast.

17. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Thanks for the tip. After the class I came home and took the wheel off then the tube for practice. Learned from that experience and went back to LBS to get a inflator that holds the CO2 cartrige so I can slowly inflate the tire. Not much control with the one I had were you turn it back a turn and it emptys quickly. No chance to be sure the bead is seated right. Grizzly's are not to common in S. Florida but there are panthers and gators. Most of them are wearing football jerseys so they are easy to spot.

18. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

They're the most dangerous, as they're usually rabid.

19. Cycle Snack

Cycle Snack New Member

I always replace on the trail (or road) and then patch at home.

20. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

My friend repaired a tube ripped at the presta valve with super glue and we ran it off road hard for about 2 months before it started leaking again, unbelievable.