Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I keep pinching tubes. 26x2" My pressure is usually up around the max at 65 psi. I'm 255lbs. Anyone think of using downhill tubes for all mountain riding, not much downhilling or big air......thoughts please?

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
So I keep pinching tubes. 26x2" My pressure is usually up around the max at 65 psi. I'm 255lbs. Anyone think of using downhill tubes for all mountain riding, not much downhilling or big air......thoughts please?
I'm no expert on this but this winter on my MTB when I was at 180 I ran a max of 35 and even that felt like to much and whether it's right or not I run close to 28-32 depending where I ride. I would *think* 65 was way to much even at 225!

·
No longer a newb!
177 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If I run lower I'm pinching without even moving.
Wow, that's crazy. Granted, I'm a bit lighter (155) but I can run as low as 25 lbs without pinching a tube (yet). Are you sure you don't have a burr or something on the wheel somewhere that might not show itself with the higher pressure but would with the lower pressure?

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
If I run lower I'm pinching without even moving.
Don't know Bro, one of the guys I ride with is 220 and I just talked to him and he's pretty much running the same TP as me (30-35) and goes as high as 40 on a rare occasion. If your getting pinch flats maybe you should look at the width of the tire, something to look at, just a suggestion :D

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
2" is very narrow for a mountain bike tire, especially for someone your size and 65 psi is WAY too high a pressure. I am 170 and ride 2.3" tires on my XC bikes and 2.5" on my big bike. I run 30-35 psi. As mentioned, tubless is also an option.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Do I need to get wider rims if I increase my tire width?
Usually the specs for the wheel (if you know the manufacture and model) will tell you the maximum tire size.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Ok so what mm can handle s 2.3 or 2.25
Don't worry about your rim size. If it's a 26" mtn bike rim, it should easily accept either tire size. You will just need to make sure that the bigger tire will clear your fork and chain stays which I expect both will. If you were to go up to a 2.5 things might get a little tight.

As an example, my Surly 1x1 has rims that are around 22mm and I run Kenda Nevagal 2.3" tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts