Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Weird start to build thread with stuff scattered in FS thread, recent purchase thread so bringing it together here..........

A thing kinda happened out of the blue, unexpected, inescapable......what has been seen cannot be unseen, the want couldn't be unwanted. It all starts here in a FS thread...........
http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f89/couple-trek-mtbs-sale-18447/

So anyway, going on from there.........ride day, time to load up the bike. Which rack? hitch - no go, tires to wide for hoops. older bumper mount - no go, too much slope on top tube and shape of top tube not right for rack. bedrail mounts - no go, hex lock thru axle, no adapter like for 15mm thru. lay it under tonneau cover with front wheel off - maybe but have no way to get it to park with another bike and won't fit in friend's shortbed. OK, that only left strapping it in the bed like a motorcycle. Problem with that was the tailgate won't close when tied in straight and having it tied in diagonal with tailgate closed meant moving it over straight and driving to park with tailgate down and friends bike on other side in bedrail mount. Never really thought of issue with hauling around a monster bike. Here is pic on the way to buddy's house of it in back...............

Attachments

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So, on to the first real ride.......did about 18 miles at Lake Houston Wilderness Park. This place has a mix of sandy stretches along a creek, nice wooded flowing singletrack, 1/2 mile stretch of potential swampy stuff depending on recent rains & some doubletrack park service roads. The bike was at home in all of it.........Ate up sand pits like they weren't there, singletrack was great but had to stay on top of the bike like a mischevious horse wanting to stray but was completely fun as hell. I did balk at the swamp section that meant riding thru water halfway to axles, just short of dipping the rr derailleur and touching feet on downstrokes. The trail is plenty visible but spots where bogging can occur aren't. Bike cleared the whole section crawling along at steady speed only nearly getting stuck twice. Little extra torque and kept moving. Tires never spun much at all and after clearing this nothing but sidewalls of tires had anything on them. Pedals dry, derailleur dry, no caking mud at all. Then the sand cleaned tires back to clean. Air may not be this bike's forte but everything else is.......the seat is not long for the bike, not comfy, too narrow for me. Rest was stellar...short of missed shifts due to acclimating to the SRAM thumbs. Index finger constantly searching for non-existent paddle, lol. I can also see why reviews talked about not being able to keep oem grips in place due to shifting motions. The lock-ons already in place kept that from being issue. All in all, after all the fun frolic and wow of this thing, all I could keep thinking about after he ride was WTF just happened? Riding this thing is amazing, a different kind of amazing, a crazy kind of amazing, the kind of amazing that makes ya laugh and smile the whole time. Technically the frame is large for me but only adds to the fun of the oversize beast. Here's a few pics of it loose in the forest.................
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Plant
Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Land vehicle
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Plant Tire Bicycle frame
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycle frame Crankset
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Plant
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Coming soon.............lime green raceface chester pedals, carbon seatpost, different seat, lime green oury lock-ons, wheels mfg bb, dorado air cartridge for fork & this 32t sram xsync chainring

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again to cwtch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
This was a happy thing to wake up and read. Glad you enjoy the bike. It is so hard to explain how different they are. When people ask me about mine, I just say it is fun and I can't ride it without grinning. Seems to be the same for you.
So happy for you !
It is cool that you have some customising to do.

This worked out great for everyone. The Stache has a happy home and will get ridden. The money payed for my new rear shock and some other parts that are going on my race bike. Was a good deal for both of us :).

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes it was, glad I could help. Yeah the main thing is going to be dialing in my tiedown setup for it. I have some different longer straps I can use next time so the hook doesn't have to grab something on the bars potentially scratching stuff. I can wrap the other straps around the bar area then both hooks down on bedrail cleats. Not sure but could probably air down to be able to squeeze tires into the hitch rack hoops but that'd suck to deal with everytime you want to go somewhere with it and then same thing on way back. Too much airing up/down. It took me awhile to even get it loaded up to roll out the other day, lol. Had to do diagonal in bed so tailgate would close then just leave it open hauling 2 bikes to get to park. It was worth the hassle, just have to dial in my routine with it. Wish there was hexlock adapter to regular mount like I have for the 15mm thru axle on the AnthemX. Haven't even searched on something like that yet. Only other thing that would be an option might be the tailgate pad thing. That way I could fold up bed cover but not have to remove it completely. Not sure I want to do a bunch of freeway madness like that tho.................

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Lime Oury lock-ons and carbon 31.6 post ordered.............400mm post seems long for my positioning, almost bottoming out in the frame so going with 350mm.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Only part of the ride I didn't like was the part where I hopped on my buddy's little bitty bike he brought so he could has some test ride and watching the hulk (bike) lumber along in front of me. Test ride didn't last long, couldn't handle it,lol............he said he was shocked how light it felt and how good it handled vs the initial visual perception of it.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
More stuff..........seat ordered. Pedals, on fence over black or the green but green most likely. Stems, not caring to mess with tires off rim yet but ordering.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Next......................but might be a minute to give bike funds a chance to replenish, lol.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks man. I have been amazed every time I have ridden it so far. Can't avoid walking by it and holding it by the bars and think of the last ride on it, lol. It's in the dining room right now so it gets passed by, handled and stared at a lot.

Got the brake lever pull adjusted where the levers aren't about to hit the bars so that should instill some more confidence on next ride but still think it'll be some time before I quit using index finger to hunt for the paddle to shift down like on rapidfires, lol. Spent most of the day Saturday hunting for that paddle and forgetting that they are both thumb operated. Luckily I wasn't in any bind where it mattered that much missing a shift but did have to torque up a few hills in wrong gear because I missed the shift hunting around with index finger. Shimanoitis I suppose, lol. I'll adapt...............

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Green grips on. I think I like them. Yeah, a little off from frame color but they'll be OK............
Bicycle Bicycle tire Sports equipment Bicycle accessory Table
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame
Bicycle Tire Wheel Land vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Bicycle Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle frame

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Fizik seat, lime green end plugs for the grips & lime green tubeless presta stems & carbon seat post on the way. Ended up going with some fyxation lime green flat pedals so those are en route. Have an offer out on the alloy chainring and waiting to see if they go for it on fleabay. That will take me down to just the bb swap.......which may just wait until creaking occurs just to get some use out of it since not sure if it'll get destroyed removing it like the one on the Anthem X was. Might as well wait til it complains.

other part pics on previous page..............

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Nah, didn't cost that much :D Yeah, not completely sold on the green grips and we'll see how the rest goes. I know the lime valve stems will go in at some point when convenient. I have the Bianchi Rollo that can benefit from whatever green I don't like and decide to go back black. The Rollo is a bit different yellower lime that matches the grips exactly where the Stache is more green.

After feeling at bit "stretched" after last ride I decided to trim the bars a bit so broke out the pipe cutter and trimmed 10mm off both sides. Bars were 750mm so now they are 730mm. Made noticeable difference in my "wingspan" bringing hands closer into shoulder width and no difference in steering torque needed to keep this beast under control. Went for a little local blast around the hoodbelts hitting all my jumping and climbing spots and staying off the pavement in a lot more spots than usual but still krazy fun. Sucked up everything I threw at it and begged for more than what I had for it in 110 heat index low breeze setting. Bars felt much better as in not constantly thinking how wide they felt and the Fizik seat actually did bettter than the first little test ride on it made me think it was going to do which also means it was no focus of any attention while bombing around the place.

Still waiting on the carbon seat post to show. Also waiting on the other green stuff. I am getting to point where I think black may win out on some of this.

Custom fit one of those little front fenders where it would fit and work with the reverse arch setup. carbon pattern to go with bottle cage, stem spacers/cap and soon to be seat post. Not sure about it staying or not tho....it is fit over the arch instead of between arch and tire. Just wasn't clearance to my liking that way. may be a temp item.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle Tire Wheel Land vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Search still on for some fork mount adapter - hexlock to 9mm. Unless I'm missing the boat on being able to use my 9mm to 15mm thru adapter.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
OK, F adding more green, back to black on grips. Pedals no go, getting new black ones.
Bicycle Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........Steel chainring? cute but heavy.........no
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
mmmmmmmmmmmm.............alloy, much lighter by about 1/2 lb, beautiful........YES!
Tire Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Next......bye-bye cheapy temp pedals......they are light and cheap. Bike deserves better tho..............

1 - 20 of 53 Posts